more ADSL troubles....

Guest allankyoto

Guest allankyoto

Ok, I'm sure everyone loves solving ADSL problems so I'm going to throw another one your way... ;)

First of all, I live in Kyoto, Japan and have an ADSL modem that I connect to my computer via the lan port on the modem. It is not designed as a router as there is only a single lan port.

In Windows, I followed the instructions and setup a PPPOE connection, I enter my username and password and then it creates a shortcut on my desktop. I click connect and I'm connnected to the net.

In every version of Linux I've downloaded (now using the Mandriva RC1) I cannot for the life of me get connected to the net.

First of all I've tried to setup using the ADSL connection method in configure computer section of Mandriva. Nothing happens there. After I configure it asks me if I would like to test my connection and it always says that my computer is not able to connect to the net.

Ok, so I read some info on these boards and others and tried to set up a LAN connection instead. I configured my Intel Nic as a lan connection with DHCP. I then typed 192.168.116.1 into my browser and entered my username and password. Nothing happened there. It just kept asking me to enter the password and login again. No connection. I tried to do the same by typing 10.0.0.1 into the browser but this time it wouldn't even let me enter a password.

I tried to setup a connection via the PPPOE program which I downloaded and then copied over to the Linux distribution. Nothing going on there.

I am a Linux noob but not a total idiot, I think. What am I missing here?

Edited by allankyoto

The LAN connection is mainly used when you have an ADSL router, which as you've mentioned isn't in your case, it's just a pure modem, although it works over a LAN connection to your machine. So I would have thought the ADSL option would have worked for you.

Effectively, from what I gather, you're saying the username and password was managed within Windows, and when you clicked connect, it dialed up (over the LAN connection) to the ADSL connection. Rather than having the username/password stored on the ADSL modem?

I'm not running Linux at the minute, but can do later to double-check. If you choose the ADSL option, does it not give you screens to configure usernames/passwords, etc? Do you still have Windows to also find out, if there was some sort of dialer string that was being used to tell the ADSL connection how to connect. Clicking Properties on this, should be able to give a bit of information perhaps.

Let us know how you get on.

Guest allankyoto
The LAN connection is mainly used when you have an ADSL router, which as you've mentioned isn't in your case, it's just a pure modem, although it works over a LAN connection to your machine.  So I would have thought the ADSL option would have worked for you.

Yes, me too that is why I'm confused

Effectively, from what I gather, you're saying the username and password was managed within Windows, and when you clicked connect, it dialed up (over the LAN connection) to the ADSL connection.  Rather than having the username/password stored on the ADSL modem?

Yes, that is correct. No information was stored on the modem. Basically you go into the Windows control panel. You go to Internet Options. From there you click 'setup new connection' You choose the second one which is to setup a connection manually. You choose a connection to the net that requires a password and login. You fill it in. It then creates the connection and puts the shortcut on your desktop. You're done. No configuration script or anything like that.

I'm not running Linux at the minute, but can do later to double-check.  If you choose the ADSL option, does it not give you screens to configure usernames/passwords, etc?  Do you still have Windows to also find out, if there was some sort of dialer string that was being used to tell the ADSL connection how to connect.  Clicking Properties on this, should be able to give a bit of information perhaps.

Yes, Linux gives me the ADSL option and the ability to setup my passwords and login but when I do nothing happens. I'm wondering if this isn't an issue with the ADSL modem that I have.

[formatted by spinynorman]

Guest allankyoto
Hi

I had similar problems when I first got ADSL.

At the command line, as root, type ifconfig. Post the output here.

Ok, I will tomorrow morning. It's now 10p.m. and I just got home from my office where I'm having the troubles. At home I have a fiber optic connection to the net and no troubles with Linux :)

Guest allankyoto

Here is the output. You'll notice I have three Nics. Two are not plugged in to anything and as far as I know are not setup for anything. The first nic is a PCI Intel Nic and is the one configured with Mandrake's ADSL program.

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:07:E9:1F:8F:D9

inet addr:192.168.116.2 Bcast:192.168.116.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fe80::207:e9ff:fe1f:8fd9/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:254 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:287 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:16786 (16.3 KiB) TX bytes:21791 (21.2 KiB)

Base address:0x9000 Memory:f7000000-f7020000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:09:CB:99:44

inet6 addr: fe80::211:9ff:fecb:9944/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Interrupt:22 Base address:0x6000

Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:278 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:278 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:67805 (66.2 KiB) TX bytes:67805 (66.2 KiB)

I don't think I can help but if this is a modem that you have an admin page that is accessed by going to 10.1.1.1 or something similar, then you will probably not be able to configure it with any other browser than IE. Sometimes Netscape will work but probably not. Hopefully your modem is configured correctly. Try this.

The default gateway and your hostname go in /etc/sysconfig/network:

HOSTNAME=whatever_it_is

NETWORKING=yes

GATEWAY=10.0.0.2 # or the IP address of your modem

GATEWAYDEV=eth0

The default gateway should be set to the IP address of the ethernet port

on the modem - the same one you ping. The computer uses it as a 'last

resort' when it doesn't know where to send a packet, i.e. a network that

is not in the routing table.

If you have this set, then something is removing it...

Try typing the following as root:

route add default gw 10.0.0.2 eth0

(or whatever the modem IP address is - the convention is to make it the

.1 node, and the rest of the network 2. through to .254 but that doesn't

really matter, as long as all hosts, i.e. the computer and modem, have a

different address)

If you type route -n now, there should be another entry at the bottom of

your routing table something like this:

0.0.0.0 10.0.0.2 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

And try to connect - you should find it works

Good luck!

Guest allankyoto

hmmm... well this is interesting. The last time I booted into Mandriva I tried again to make the Intel Nic work just by going through the standard way. I was hoping for some magic karma and for it to work. (before I read your post Ageless Stranger) Now the system hangs at bootup when it is looking for pppo. I can't boot into it at all. I wonder what happened?

I tried unplugging the modem and lan cable but it still hung.

Thanks 'AgelessStranger' for your help though and as soon as I fix this new problem I'll try what you suggested...

Edited by allankyoto

I know what happened. You need to shut down the adsl thing that you set up in the first place. If you can get your system to boot, go to MCC and in the services menu uncheck "on boot" for adsl and also stop it from running.

I had exactly the same problems. Setting up adsl using thr MCC was really buggy for me as well. I can't remember how I got it to reboot cleanly I think I pushed esc and entered interactive startup, when It tried to start ppoe I said "No way Jose" and the system booted cleanly (I think, 49% certainty!).

If you are connecting to ADSL via the LAN port on your ADSL modem, are you selecting ADSL in the Setup network interface section of MCC (Mandrake Control Centre) ???. If you are, then you are wrong. It must be set to LAN.

When you connect via the LAN port you are using the ADSL modem as a router.

Cheers. John.

If you are connecting to ADSL via the LAN port on your ADSL modem, are you selecting ADSL in the Setup network interface section of MCC (Mandrake Control Centre) ???. If you are, then you are wrong. It must be set to LAN.

When you connect via the LAN port you are using the ADSL modem as a router.

His ADSL modem unfortunately doesn't act like an ADSL router though. It doesn't store any configuration relating to username/password, etc for opening the connection. When he was using Windows, he had to use PPPOE connection, and the dialer within windows held the username/password details to be able to tell the modem to open up the connection.

Because of this, he's had to configure Mandriva with the ADSL connection, because he has to pass the credentials to the modem to open up the connection, even though it has a LAN port.

With it configured as a LAN connection, he has no way of passing the username/password credentials. The modem is effectively "dumb" and doesn't know what to do :P

Guest allankyoto

Well I'm sorry guys. I tried to follow the instructions provided but with no luck. I'm really surprised I'm having so much trouble connecting to the net with an ADSL modem using PPPOE. Here in Japan that is the most common way to connect with your ADSL modem. NTT is the big telephone company here and this method is the way almost all my friends connect to the net. (cable is not widespread at all)

Perhaps this issue has been solved in a distrubition like Turbolinux which originates in Japan. All the distrubitions I've tried like PClinux OS, Ubuntu, Suse and Mepis all have this same problem. They will not connect via their PPPOE setups so it is not something unique to Mandriva.

I really want to make the shift from Windows to Linux but now even if I do manage to get it to work it'll be a bit of kludge. I can forgive programs crashing from time to time and I can understand codecs not working correctly but not being able to get connected to the net is just a showstopper. I won''t be able to recommend any distrubition I've tried without this being fixed.

Sorry to be so negative...but just feeling frustrated. At any rate, I'll continue to fool around with this when I have time and if I find a solution in another distrubition I'll let you know.

I'll have a look at my system when I get home this evening to see if I can help with the PPPOE setup. Here it's mostly PPPOA (if not all PPPOA), so I'll check the config settings for PPPOE and get back to you shortly.

And don't worry, we'll hopefully get there in the end :P

Arigato.