Mandriva 2005 to 2006

strummsteel

Urpmi can allow you to upgrade from one version to another, but problems can be encountered. I normally find a clean install works best going from one version to another.

Eg: I upgraded using urpmi from 10.1 Official to LE2005 and couldn't get my Intel graphics card to work with 3D/OpenGL. However, a clean install of LE2005 on the same system, and the Intel card worked without any problems.

If you do decide to upgrade, you need to remove all urpmi sources with:

urpmi.removemedia -a

and then add the urpmi mirrors for the 2006 RC1. If you have 2006 RC1 on CD/DVD then you can boot from it and upgrade that way. That might work better than upgrading from the urpmi mirrors.

If you do with the mirrors, then make sure:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

will make sure everything is updated to the latest version. Then you will need to install the latest kernel for that release, and perhaps the kernel-source as well. These items are not upgraded automatically.

However, do expect encountering some problems if not a lot of problems!!!

I have upgraded from 10.0 to 10.1 then to 2005LE and then to 2006 beta3. Never had a problem but over the years there are so many left over things remained I have 3 G more free space now after installing (cleanly) RC1, and the system is faster, don't know if they improved it or it's my doubled swap partition.

So I say if you wanna upgrade go for it, but a clean install is recommended every now and then.

Thanks for the replies, hmm so the consensus is for me to take the plunge and Go 2006 RC1, then upgrade my urpmi source when 2006 officially launches right? I never thought this would be possible Praise be Linux.

Any idea how far away 2006 final will be? I cant wait. Im stuck with KDE 3.3 and Gnome 2.8 and im too chicken to upgrade because I keep reading nasty stuff about the KDE 3.3 to 3.4 update.

Hello Dexter. Doubling your swap space will likely NOT have made things faster. If you have adequate real memory, 256mbs or more, then the swap space is hardly even used. A swap space greater than 500mbs is just simply wasted space.

I have 1gb of true memory and only about 450mbs of swap and am considering deleting it entirely.

I agree with the clean install update even though mandriva versions have been getting better and better at behaving properly when do upgrading.

And yes, independant tests are showing that Mandriva2005-LE is faster and also considerably faster than suse or redhat in boot up time and overall operation.

Cheers. John.