how to set up a samba server

illogic-al

Thinks it's too hard to set up a samba share. Well then it just became easier. We'll mainly be using the graphical goodies provided by Mandrake.

1. First open up the mandrake control center. You should now see an icon on the very bottom which says Server Configuration. If it's missing, like in the one shown here, you'll need to install it.

mcc.png

2. So open up rpmdrake from the control center since you're already there.

3. Once you've clicked on the Install Software and rpmdrake shows up you'll need to install these a few things. If they don't show up when you search for them that probably means they're installed already

rpmd.png

• samba-server

samba-client (for LinNeighbourhood)

samba-common

drakwizard

samba-swat (optional)

3. You might want to consider using Mandrake Upadte at this point and updating your samba packages. While you're at it just update anything else that needs updating.

4. To update choose a mirror and select ok updd.png

If your mirror doesn't work updd_err.png you can try another or give up (like I did). I seriously recommend updating because in addition to getting security updates you can also get bugfix releases and general updates which help things to run smoother. At the very least get the security updates (for packages that you use).

5. Close rpmdrake and then reopen it. You should now see an icon on the very bottom which says Server Configuration.

mcc_serv.png

There endeeth the screenshots.

6. Click on the Samba icon choose Next and choose the options you want (if any) and then move on.

7. Choose a name for your workgroup, move on. The server banner which comes next will bw a sort of description for you workgroup so you can put a description like "Only company file server immune to outlook viruses" or "music mp3s and other sh*t here" or something along those lines.

8. Hit next Mandrake will tell show you what it's doing you have the choice to go back and change thigs if you feel so inclined.

9. Hit next Mandrake congratulates you on your point and click skills. Hit Finish and then it's all over. Quite boring, no?

10. Well its not over yet. :twisted: Now the FUN begins. Or at the very least it gets interesting. If you have a firewall running you have to reconfigure it so that it allows samba to work. Firestarter has a nice point click interface with a wizard that allows you to select servers that you want to allow. I was using it for the longest while too but I couldn't get it to work with LinNeighbourhood or Komba2. It wouldn't allow samba net access through the wizard so I ditched it and went with the KDE compatible and option freindly Guarddog. All these apps are in the contrib section of the Mandrake. Instructions on adding them to rpmdrake as sources can be found here.

11. Assuming you've taken care of the firewall we move on to adding shares to the samba config file. That's where the samba-swat program comes in. It's in the menu under Configuration --> Networking --> Samba Configuaration. You need to put in your root username and password initially to log on.

12. Remember whatever you do don't share you're shares in read write mode with everybody. Bad things can happen (like what's about to happen to this guy who's shared his whole windows C drive).

dumb.png

:twisted:

To be continued....[/i]