Nautilus/Konqueror slow compared to Explorer

hanes

I have a alaptop that dual boots (I keep the windows partition around but barely ever use it...). I use it at work and I hook into a novell directory. Im a teacher and a directory I often use is called "STUDENTS", iin it there are 1500 other directories, these are the students personal files. If i look in this directory with konqueror, konqueror crashes. If I look in it with Nautilus (under gnome) nautilus is slow... and eventually crashes. If I look in it with Windows Explorer, it works suprisingly fast.

I'm not complaining, or even saying windows is better (I would hate to work in windows, but at work i dont seem to have a lot of choice.. i work in this directory everyday). But I would like to ask, if anyone else has noticed stuff like this? On all my linux computers (i have a few) I cannot seem to find a file manager that comes even close to windows explorer....

Any comments/solutions?

PS please dont say just do an ls under command line (which by the way command line works fine in this directory)

Edited by hanes