Help with Creative Webcam

strummsteel

Guys,

Its been a happy 4 weeks since leaving WINDOZE. Im trying to convince anyone that I could do anything on Linux only better. One problem has been my Webcam. I know that Gyach supports Yahoo Messengers WebCam features.

How do I know if my Webcam is recognized by Mandriva LE2005?

And if its not configured how do I do it?

One major Problem is I dont know anything about my Webcam except its brand which is Creative.

If I cant get it to work, do you have any suggestions on which brand to get? I want it to work out of the box for Mandriva.

Any help would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Open the Mandriva Control Center, Hardware, hardware and look under usb devices.

If it is recognized by Mandriva automaically a new device will be created in /dev called video(X where x = 0,1,2,3...). You can test if it works my opening a console and type: mplayer /dev/videoX.

If it's not configured you need to install a driver for it. Drivers are called modules in Linux. Go to the creative website and look for your model. Then google for a driver.

If you need help installing the driver post the result of your googling :)

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, unfortuantely for me, tehre is no driver for the Creative Camera (WebCam PD1001) that I have. From the infos iI need to recompile the kerenl to include a diff file.

That is far too difficult for me. And I dont think im that confident to mess up my system.

Everything on my Linux Box works now and other than the updated KDE and Gnome, im quite happy with it.

Regrading the Webcam. Can you give me a brand/model of the most Linux (Mandriva) Friendly Webcam? I will just buy that instead, rather than mess up. Thnaks once again.

I have been bitten by the Linux box, and no matter how hard the problem is, I have persevered and have made my Linux Box a wonderful machine.

Installing apps is not that hard but what really ticks me off is the way WebCams are largely ignored, I mean I have to patch a kernel? to recompile a kernel?

Windows is flat out a mess but we get ebat by M@ loyalists becuase we can make a webcam work. USB pen drives-check, VideoCards-check, FireWire Cards-check, but why no WebCam drivers out of the box? Why?

*nix is the backbone of the internet, Linux can do anything that Windows can, and do it much much better, without virus and spyware. Recently "Gyach Enhanced" has made major strides to be compatible to Yahoo Messenger's Video features. Now why isnt Gyach on our machines? And we scrape by with Gaim and Kopete (which are in their own right better applications than Trillian). Because we cant use our webcams.

My parents, old couple... likes everything about Linux but suddenly comments- "Why cant I see my grandson, on the WebCam?" And I say Your Linux box cant access the WebCam, MCC recognizes the dman, thing including the name Creative WebCam PD1001 but cant get it to work.

Why doesnt Linux pack the drivers inside the Kernel in the first place? Honestly, I guess im just too chicken to patch my own kernel. Any one here who can help me? Please?

Thanks in advance

strummsteel - I have merged your 2 topics to avoid confusion.

If manufacturers don't provide fully-functioning drivers for Linux, you depend on volunteers to figure out how to make your webcam work. This is probably harder than following written instructions to compile your own kernel.

Compiling your own kernel will not mess up your system: you will still be able to use your old kernel - as long as you don't overwrite it. :)

There are FAQs here, which you may like to peruse, then post any questions you may have. I'm sure someone will be able to help you.