Is there a computer that only linux.....?

Mandriva-user

Hi!

Is there a computer that only linux can run with out lindows?

Ciao mandrake-user :roll:

Is there a computer that only linux can run with out lindows?

Not quite sure I understand the question. Just about any computer can run linux just as just about any computer and run windows or lindows(although why you'd want to run linows I'll never know).

Do you mean without dualbooting so you have a linux only box? Thats easy, if you have a bootable cd blow away whats on the drive and set your bios to boot to cd and away you go.

Well i like to run only one OS and it is linux because I use two hard drive one is run windows98,he told me you should run windows on master hard drive & linux at slave hd.

O.k.let say I get a brand new computer with out any OS,is it possible to install linux OS?

Well i like to run only one OS and it is linux because I use two hard drive one is run windows98,he told me you should run windows on master hard drive & linux  at slave hd.

O.k.let say I get a brand new computer with out any OS,is it possible to install linux OS?

Yes, there is no need to run a dual boot machine if you don't want or need too. Turn on the new computer, set the bios to boot to cd first, just to be on the safe side, save and exit and when the machine reboots it will boot to the cd which will then start the linux install.

Ronin

Yes, there is no need to run a dual boot machine if you don't want or need too. Turn on the new computer, set the bios to boot to cd first, just to be on the safe side, save and exit and when the machine reboots it will boot to the cd which will then start the linux install.

Oooohhh good I didn`t know that tnx ronin for your help so why people tell me you should run windows on master hard drive & linux at slave hd,why is that?

Ciao

I'm afraid people were assuming that you wanted dual-boot. You do not have to have windows anywhere in your home. And your life would be fine without windows! :wink:

If you were to dual boot, I'd put windows on the master drive. But you not, so its not important.

Yes there some none i86 processors that only *nix OSs will run on. For instance Sun manufacture their own processors, and only Solaris (and possibly Linux) run on those.

Also you run Linux/Unix on most Apples. In fact the new Apple OS is practically Unix. Then there are the ARM family of processors, which will allow you run Linux. The list is endless. :)

Guest chriswoods

Sometimes it's just useful to have Winbl0ze installed as a backup OS in case everything goes tits up and you want to download stuff like packages to install to fix a problem in Linux, or if you have a hardware problem and you need to test out the suspect hardware on a completely different infrastructure... Don't flame me for this but Windows 2000 is installed along with MDK9 on my machine and it has come in very useful for identifying problem hardware recently, perhaps maybe because I've used Windows all my life until now and wish to broaden my horizons by learning to use an environment that isn't based on a model run by money :)

Bit of a total utter fakking newb tho... Got the linmodems tarball for my lucent winmodem and it goes "build the module using build_module" in the readme. I aint got the foggiest idea on how to even build the damn drivers as a module. Also got the drivers for my gf4 sitting in /drivers ... And don't know how to install, compile or even extract properly. Nowt seems to work... Must read tutorials... Just one problem: I can't get my modem drivers installed, so I can't even load the tutorial pages in Linux... Catch 22 ain't it.

My printer ran out of ink last week too. :roll:

Sometimes it's just useful to have Winbl0ze installed as a backup OS in case everything goes tits up and you want to download stuff like packages to install to fix a problem in Linux, or if you have a hardware problem and you need to test out the suspect hardware on a completely different infrastructure... Don't flame me for this but Windows 2000 is installed along with MDK9 on my machine and it has come in very useful for identifying problem hardware recently, perhaps maybe because I've used Windows all my life until now and wish to broaden my horizons by learning to use an environment that isn't based on a model run by money :)

I would say it's the other way around, that having Linux installed on a system is a way to have a backup when Windoze goes "tits up," as you put it... Linux supports virtually all the filesystems out there, while Windoze only supports its own (at least without divine intervention). Linux can at LEAST read NTFS and can of course read and write FAT32, FAT16, plus a multitude of other formats.

Once Linux is up and running, it's up and running. Nothing short of harware failure or a complete bone-headed maneuver is going to bring it down. Of course, getting Linux up and running can sometimes be a challenge for the un-initiated.

Bit of a total utter fakking newb tho... Got the linmodems tarball for my lucent winmodem and it goes "build the module using build_module" in the readme. I aint got the foggiest idea on how to even build the damn drivers as a module. Also got the drivers for my gf4 sitting in /drivers ... And don't know how to install, compile or even extract properly. Nowt seems to work... Must read tutorials... Just one problem: I can't get my modem drivers installed, so I can't even load the tutorial pages in Linux... Catch 22 ain't it.

My printer ran out of ink last week too. :roll:

As for your modem, I'd [expletive deleted]-CAN it and get an external hardware serial (RS-232, not USB) modem for cheap. I got mine for only $45 at a show and it runs in both Linux AND windoze (Better in Linux of course since there is no trying to set up drivers for it, which I never understood why windoze needs drivers for an external serial... ).

As for printers, Linux supports a multitude of printers. But that won't help you with the ink problem...

JaseP

As for your modem, I'd [expletive deleted]-CAN it and get an external hardware serial (RS-232, not USB) modem for cheap. I got mine for only $45 at a show and it runs in both Linux AND windoze (Better in Linux of course since there is no trying to set up drivers for it, which I never understood why windoze needs drivers for an external serial... ).  

As for printers, Linux supports a multitude of printers. But that won't help you with the ink problem...

You are right about that`s I like it about linux because of external hardware you don`t need software for it if it support the brand new hardware.

But if we get brand new ext.hardware will it support it?

JaseP

You are right about that`s I like it about linux because of external hardware you don`t need  software for it if it support the brand new hardware.

But if we get brand new ext.hardware will it support it?

If you get a standard external serial modem (RS-232 rather than USB), Linux should support it right out of the box. You need only know what serial port it's connected to to connect with, say kppp,...

There are no drivers for hayes compatible protocol modems in Linux. Linux just talks to them throught the serial port.

Guest chriswoods

Well, I think I still favour win2k because I know how to use it more (d'uh) and I'm more familiar with it. I intend to become as familiar with mdk9 as I am with 2K now :) ...

... I bought this winmodem because it was the only one I can afford. Poor underfed undermonied student here. I was told by addons that it was a pci hardware modem... Hahahahahaha. Nope. I just went "bugger it" and put up with it... Now I have drivers for it and I intend to MAKE THEM WORK in mdk. I just have to work out how to install them first... So any recommended newbie tutorials are appreciated, I can't find any good uns that deal with things from simple commandline operations to doing stuff like unwrapping tarballs, creating modules, installing RPMs, ... pretty much anything. :(

Anything would help at this point.

I don't think I'll buy a new modem jus for mdk, Windows is still my primary operating system of choice (Does Mandrake support my Psion Wavefinder? I think not. I can't live without DAB radio) and also I love playing UT2 and that won't run under Linux. Plus I have a crapload of games leeched from a mate at a recent lan and I intend to be able to continue playing them. I'll still use Linux tons... Promise. :)

m-m-m-m-m-monster post ;D