How to launch an application from a kde icon

ellianef

Hello,

I have an application that starts fine from a konsole. The app is an executable.

I've tried a lot of kde things but the only thing I get working is the konsole start or the app starts but very quickly disapeared.

The app is a opengl graphic one and runs in it's own X session (or a gl viewport). The konsol e icon changes to a big X.

Could someone help me ?

Thanks a lot.

Are you saying that the following will not work?

desktop right-click

file

link to application

type command line verbage used to start program from the console (with full path)

Yes, this doesn't work. If I open a konsole, cd to the directory where the app reside, type the name of the binary then it runs fine: it opens it's window and all is fine.

As soon as I try anything else, the apps starts but stops quite immediatly without opening any window.

By the way what is the way to open a konsole and send it a command to start the app from a script ?

Thanks.

Edited by ellianef

Have you tried ticking the box to 'run in console'?

Yes, I have tried all possible options. The best I got is the app segfault.

What is the difference between opening a console and typing the app name (this works) and try to launch from the desktop icon in a console. Is it the same "K/console" and the same environment ?

Thanks

Some time later:

Find the problem: As I tried also as root(su), one file in the directory caused the problem. Removing this file( a log) lets the app start smoothly.

Thanks a lot to all of you.

Edited by ellianef

Far simpler is the following. Most application executables (do not think .exe as per windows) are in /usr/bin. So open a Konsole and type in kdesu-konqueror, press enter and you will be asked to type in your root password press enter again. This will start Konqueror in root mode so take common sense care here.

In Konqueror go to /usr/bin and look for the application you want. When you left click on it see if the application opens up. If it does then you have found the correct spot. Close down the newly opened application since it was only to check things. This icon you clicked on would also look like a gear wheel. Do a drag and drop to wherever you want to open the application from such as Desktop or as I do, to the Kicker Panel. You will be asked what you want to do with the drop so select. Link here To now give the resultant icon an icon image of your choosing, Right click on it and select Properties and click on the icon shown in properties and it will take you to the icon bank from wich you can select a suitable icon. Most likely the appropriate one for your application will be in there just waiting to be selected.

Click all appropriate APPLY on your way of closing out.

Hope this makes it easier for you.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

By the way what is the way to open a konsole and send it a command to start the app  from a script ?

To answer that question (BTW: konsole --help or man konsole would answer it, too :D ):

konsole -e command and options

starts it. you can also set the Session type, window size (--vt_sz), etc (see man) I run the su command, too... su needs "s, because it only wants "one argument" on the command line.

This is how I "autostart" my Syslog in a new konsole window:

#!/bin/bash
konsole --vt_sz 118x40 -e su -c "tail -60f /var/log/syslog" &

C U

Panic.