AbiWord?

Aomighty

Anyone using AbiWord for word processing? I almost did switch (from OO 2.0 Beta), but its saving as other formats capability seemed kinda of weak compared to OO.o, then again, I was using 2.2.7. Anyone know if it's better in 2.2.9 or anyone using it? :P

That was kinda my experience. I liked how it was pretty lightweight and was "main program is limited and to extend it you need plugins" Firefox-type philosophy rather than Openoffice which does include every feature I'll ever need but is very bulky.

If they get document formmating working better, I'll probably start using it.

I use Abiword, prefer it to Oo. It's lighter, slicker and not half as ugly :P

I'm using the latest version now and I do notice improvements with every release. That said, I just write on it - no tables, etc. So perhaps fancy formatting gives problems with .doc, but for the basic stuff I can confirm that it works better than just ok.

I sometimes use Abiword locally, because it just feels a lot better than OO,

but if I want to send a file to someone else, then OO is pretty much the only option,

it and its' sleak pdf export.

Haven't tried latest versions of Abiword though.

I'm surprised the view of AbiWord/M$Word compatibility is so dim - I only just read an article in Linux Format mag that said AbiWord had the edge over OOo in that arena. Guess you can't believe everything you read...?

I use OOo 1.9.128 ATM and still get some nasty incompatibility issues. Been thinking of trying to get Office2K (to run in WINE) off eBay - probably a pretty cheap item nowadays...

I've been using abiword mostly because I'm currently using gentoo and I can't face the Open Office compile times (I know I should install the binary, but I haven't yet).

Notch one up for being lazy.

If you run ~arch, you should put =app-office/openoffice-bin-1.9.128 in your package.unmask and go for it! OOo source ebuild filters out ALL your CFLAGS optimisations anyway, so you might as well! I did the source install at first... never again!

I've been using abiword mostly because I'm currently using gentoo and I can't face the Open Office compile times (I know I should install the binary, but I haven't yet).

Notch one up for being lazy.

emerge openoffice-bin

precompiled. ;)

As someone who kind of relies on word processors to make a living, Ive always thought - as some have already said - of Abi Word as a deluxe Notepad. I know its got a bit more but if you need to Word Process with a capital WP, and give it to others using M$...its Open Office all the way.

Which, btw, Im beginning to prefer over M$Office, for its stability and not-as-trigger-happy mouse response that was driving me crazy in Word.

Just highlight these two words her------hey, hEY! WAIT! STOP!!! NO, dont Highlight the whole THIRTY PAGES!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhh!

....sums up MS Word, imo......

As someone who kind of relies on word processors to make a living, Ive always thought - as some have already said - of Abi Word as a deluxe Notepad. I know its got a bit more but if you need to Word Process with a capital WP, and give it to others using M$...its Open Office all the way.

Which, btw, Im beginning to prefer over M$Office, for its stability and not-as-trigger-happy mouse response that was driving me crazy in Word.

Just highlight these two words her------hey, hEY! WAIT! STOP!!! NO, dont Highlight the whole THIRTY PAGES!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhh!

....sums up MS Word, imo......

I don't know what you do for a living, but I write. The only tool I use in my job everyday is my Wordprocessor. I used Abiword exclusively for one year working at a large publishing company on one of their titles without a problem.