Some programs won't launch

Guest jacatone

Guest jacatone

I have Mandrake 10.1 Community edition. Some programs like kplayer seemed to install OK, but when I try to launch them I see the little hour glass revolving but nothing happens. It just disappears. Anyone know why? Thanks.

Is there any particular reason why you chose the Community Edition? From what I hear, there were lots of probs with it, and the Official version is probably your best bet for a more stable system.

I use 10.1 Official, never really had any probs with apps not launching, although some did if they required sound, and another app was running and using the sound system. Then I'd end up with the same symptoms your experiencing.

If you have broadband, upgrade to 10.1 Official, that will probably sort it out.

Can you provide more information on the crashing apps? What information do you get when you launch them from a terminal (you know... the little black monitor icon)?

The Community edition was the version released to the community to iron out the final bugs before it became 10.1 Official.

The system of releases has changed recently: the next 'official' edition will be Mandriva 2006 and is due out on 15 September. They released the current version, 2005 Limited Edition, as an interim release for those who couldn't wait for the final version.

Most of the online stores will be selling 2005LE, but I have found 10.1 at www.linuxonline.biz - I assume you're in the USA. :unsure:

If you have broadband, you can download it for free from www.linuxiso.org. :)

Out of curiousity, how much did you pay for the discs.

I have a fear you have been conned. The majority of Linux users would send you a set of appropiate discs just for the coast of mailing them to you. Please let us know.

Cheers. John.

Linux CAN cost money. You can buy Mandriva, SUSE, Linspire, Xandros and others (RedHat Enterprise Linux costs you e.g. between 180 and 2.500 $, depending on where you want to use it) from stores or via the web. Most distros however are free for download.

Mandriva offers a free download edition and a commercial edition (with proprietary things included). If anyone downloads the free edition and sells it afterwards, e.g. using ebay, there is nothing wrong with that. He is allowed to do so, just like he is allowed to sell his commercial version later to the highest bidder. Selling those CDs is especially okay if you keep in mind that not everyone has broadband. So buying those CDs from ebay can be quicker and cheaper than paying for downloading. ;)