thinkpad 600e sound [solved]

Guest paddygav

Guest paddygav

Using TP 600e, 400mhz

I recently upgraded from RH8.1 to Mandriva 2005 last month, and have been unable to make sound work at all.

It took some configuring to make it work under RH, so I didn't expect it to "just work". Well, given that it is 2005, I did expect it to just work.

Anyway, it sees the card and tries to install a CS46xx driver.

Alsaconf tells me (and this is the way it used to work) that even though it says CS46xx, we need the CS4232 driver. It pretends to load it, then nothing happens.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, to no avail. I had the local LUG look at it - no ideas.

Has anyone made this laptop make sound? How did you do it?

HALP!

anything is greatly appreciated. I have to have sound or I might switch to some sucky OS.

Better use the Mandriva Control Center and not alsaconf in Mandriva. Close every sound application (including kmix in the systray) and load the module again (with the MCC, select driver etcetc). Then check in alsa is running (MCC, system, services) and try again. If you don't get errors open a console and type: alsamixer and make sure nothing is muted. If you do get errors port 'm.

Guest paddygav

when I use the mandriva control center, it tells me that starting Alsa is "OK", but it never switches to "running"

after typing "alsamixer" I get "function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory"

does this help?

• 2 years later...
Guest Cezar Moniz

Dear Friend.

I Got the problem. I have a Thinkpad 600E and when i install Mandriva, the only hardware not work it a sound.

Any Ideas?

Some give a help?

Thanks a lot

• 4 weeks later...