Surf the net...

ilia_kr

What is the best internet browser in your opinion?

I wonder if there is any major difference between Mozilla, FireFox and Netscape. They look similar and are based on the same core, so it must be some catch there...

Also, is there any other good browsers i should try?

Thanks

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by ilia_kr

Personally I like firefox, which is the default browser on Mandriva's LE2005. The RPM package name is mozilla-firefox. The answer is somewhat subjective, though.

Others here have mentioned Opera, Epiphany (seen on gnome desktops), etc. Heck, there's even Links and Lynx which are browsers for the console - don't laugh, what if you can't start X but you still need to browse until you get X fixed!

Like many such questions, there's no 'Best' browser. The best browser is the one that does what you need the best. Now, with that crap outta the way, I'll say this...

I really like Opera, but Firefox comes close and has no problems with sites I use for bill paying, etc. that Opera couldn't play nice with, so it's become my #1 choice when I need a 'full-featured' browser, whether using Linux or Windoze.

But I still do most of my ordinary browsing with Links2 in text mode. Links2 also runs in graphics mode and is hands down the fastest graphical browser I've ever seen. For anyone who wants ultimate speed or has a dial-up connection and doesn't need to use Java applets it's a great choice. Very light on resources too, so Links2 in either mode is great for old hardware.

Let's not forget Konqueror. My main browser (90%) is Firefox. It does all I want and is decently responsive, not as much so as Konqueror. It's like using a tool, you get comfortable with it and you get efficient with it. Just try a number of browsers and decide which you feel most comfortable with. As Crashdamage said there's no "best." Either it browses in a reasonable manner on your system or it doesn't. For odd sites that don't render some well use another. All the sites I visit are rendered well with Firefox and with its increasing popularity more will render well that currently don't.

Am a Firefox fan now. Previously, always used IE under Windows, but then changed to Firefox when I started using Linux. And now, if I use Windows (if and a big if), I have to have Firefox. IE just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

Unless I'm at work, and don't have a choice based on software policies that are in force :P

I used to use it but I had a minor problem with it. When I launched it, it would appear but not maximised, which is how I like it.

Firefox does launch maximised, but I could never get Netscape to do it. I do like Netscape, but it's just that minor niggle for me :P

I have become an Epiphany fan after trying Mozilla (which I still quite like), Konqueror, (Which I think if I new what I was doing would be an awesome browser), and Firefox which I gave up on in Linux because it kept on dissappearing somewhere into cyberspace.

I have found that Epiphany has the best fonts on my machine, and runs flash, java etc without any hassles.

I have found that Epiphany has the best fonts on my machine, and runs flash, java etc without any hassles.

I signe that and Epiphany is fast! (well atleast for me)

I wonder if there is any major difference between Mozilla, FireFox and Netscape. They look similar and are based on the same core, so it must be some catch there...

Firefox is meant to be the lean browser, making it supposedly faster. This is (partially) because it doesn't have all the extras that mozilla has - navigator, mail & newsgroups, composor, address book and irc client. netscape is packaged and modified mozilla, done by AOL now. They replace the IRC client with an AIM client (atleast in Windows, I haven't tried the new one in Linux) - amongst other things. Mozilla and Netscape are both pretty similar, really, Firefox is different - IIRC, it's not even from the same development tree, so the code may be similar but is otherwise seperate - although it uses the gecko rendering enging, I believe.

Opera is good, I mess with it from time to time (got a free key a few weeks ago during some anniversary party). I don't like epiphany, and I'm not sure why, but it's also based off the gecko engine used in the mozilla projects.

Firefox is meant to be the lean browser, making it supposedly faster.  This is (partially) because it doesn't have all the extras that mozilla has - navigator, mail & newsgroups, composor, address book and irc client.  netscape is packaged and modified mozilla, done by AOL now.  They replace the IRC client with an AIM client (atleast in Windows, I haven't tried the new one in Linux) - amongst other things.  Mozilla and Netscape are both pretty similar, really, Firefox is different - IIRC, it's not even from the same development tree, so the code may be similar but is otherwise seperate - although it uses the gecko rendering enging, I believe.

Thanks man, you really answered my question.