What advice to give someone considering Linux

ral

I need help writing this section for my site.

[The rest of my site is here: Only have three pages up so far:

http://www.veranda.com.ph/ral/index.html

http://www.veranda.com.ph/ral/whyuse.html

http://www.veranda.com.ph/ral/distro.html

Since I am using RedHat most of the content will be RedHat related stuff, but later I also hope to put up Mandrake stuff.]

I was thinking of an outline like:

1. Determine if Linux is right for you. - Basically gamers better stick to Windows and a brief explanation of migrating to native Linux apps.

2. Check hardware compatibility - don't know about this one...fine for us who sleep beside out PC... I wonder how those who don't even know what parts their PC is made of will do...

3. Visit a Linux forum. -

4. Get a copy of a distro.

I was thinking of an outline like:

1. Determine if Linux is right for you. - Basically gamers better stick to Windows and a brief explanation of migrating to native Linux apps.

2. Check hardware compatibility - don't know about this one...fine for us who sleep beside out PC... I wonder how those who don't even know what parts their PC is made of will do...

3. Visit a Linux forum. -  

4. Get a copy of a distro.

I would suggest selecting a focus for the article -- ie either write it for geeks or write it for john doe who doesn't know what is in his computer.

In my experience, most people don't even know, or want to know, how to install windows. Trying to explain to them that they need to check hardware compatibility and then visit a linux forum and then get a pick and choose a distro and then install it.... Will simply give up before the process even begins.

List the advantages, disadvantages and then tell them to get a geek to do the install for them.

However, if you write it for geeks, or geek wannabes, then you can include all the above listed stuff in the article.

Just a thought.

I want to write for John Doe.

"Trying to explain to them that they need to check hardware compatibility and then visit a linux forum and then get a pick and choose a distro and then install it.... Will simply give up before the process even begins."

I was worried about that part too... especially the hardware compatibility part...

But when I got into Linux (ML8.2 - no sound, modem not working)... I would have been out in a flash. Luckiliy I found this (the former board)...and so I stayed on...

Not really sure to how to advice the average Joe on how to get started with Linux... maybe I could just skip this part for now?

In order to promo linux, I would not bring up the hardware issue. Most hardware works, even pieces that have not been listed in anybody's database. Maybe mention the user boards if any questions arise. You could also recommend some favorite computer packages, but the average user really is not aware that their computer has "parts". I mean, it's all Gateway parts, or Compaq parts, or Dell parts, or etc.

It's not necessary to bring it up; just where to go for help. (HERE) :mystismiles:

I wouldn't tell gamers to stay away...

I WOULD tell people to check for hardware compatibility and get a "Buddy" who knows the OS better than you, even if they're online.

I have only two advices:

1- DON'T EVEN CONSIDER LINUX IF you're not sure about the compatibility of all the hardware. Go to mandrakesoft/hard.php3, and linuxprinting.org, and mostang.org/sane...

2- If you're a gamer, go and see what is available to linuxgames.org, libsdl.org... and also commercial offerings for Linux. Don't install Linux if the software is not for you. The aim of a computer is to use applications, not to use the OS.

Yves.

My advice to people considering linux.

1. Be prepared to learn, a LOT! Using linux is like going back to school again. Even though there are programs that makes it easier to configure things or give you step by step wizards, it's preferable if you know how the programs work in the first place.

2. Linux is NOT Windows, no matter how much alike it looks. They work differently, they act differently, they are used differently.

If they want a computer to just work, I point them up to windows, warning them of their own sets of problems. But if they want to have an experience of actually "conquering" their computers, I point them to linux, and ask me if they need help in learning. Let me tell you one thing, I have more people asking me about windows problems than linux problems. Linux may be a bit more complicated to setup, but once it's setup, you can forget about it since it always run no matter what :)

Guest jglen490

Hardware compatibility is important for Linux, as it is with any OS. Normally, I don't like comparing Linux and Windoze, but there may be a valid point in saying something like " ... just as Windows has a hardware compatibility list, your Linux distro has one; for instance, RedHat at www.etc ... "

I generally advise people wanting to try out Linux to do it on a spare PC, or at least have removeable hard drive trays that allow them to do a complete swap-out. That way they don't risk screwing up their existing Windoze installation.

Once they know the system, they can make the switch more permanent.

As for working differently, yeah all OSes work differently, but I equate using Linux as driving a Standard transmission car with the option to use it with an Automatic transmission (console AND GUI), where Windoze is just like using an Automatic. If you don't like the way it performs under certain conditions, you can't improve on it in Windoze.

To find out if the hardware is supported, have them boot a live cd, for instance Knoppix.

Have them ask friends who use linux.

Explain that they may have to search the web.

Linux really isn't that hard. Windows isn't really that easy. It's just in the public opinion that it's easy. I decided that I didn't want to go that extra mile anymore with Win, and that I did with linux. Ergo, on my system, my webcam doesn't work with win, nor do I have sound from the tvcard under win. I recently got the webcam and didn't bother, could probably get it to work. The tv-card, I reinstalled the drivers, reinstalled the system etcetc.

No go.

Both work fine under Mandrake.

People just want to believe that everything is easy under win and hard under linux.

Even gamers should try linux, they may like it for all other stuff.

As for hardware compatibility, my scanner doesn't work under linux, and all the rest does. But had my printer not worked, it wouldn't have made a big difference; you can print out to pdf from OOo and print that out with acroread under win.

The crucial things are: graphics card and audio, next to that: modem. Then you can do email, browse the web without fear of viruses etc.

So they may want to check those things on a forum (like here).

I'm also making a website (just posted a message here), shall I include a link to your site?

Btw just read your first page, don't really agree with your explanation of what an OS is etc,.... but that's nitpicking, because for Joe Avg. it won't matter.... :)

"don't really agree with your explanation of what an OS is etc..."

Please suggest revisions :)

As for the link that would be welcome... but I should be getting a new URL and moving to a new server soon.

I am concerned when I see comments like "Don't choose Linux if...."

Microscrap knows marketing. You never talk about limitations in marketing. Microduffy has hardware problems, but you don't hear about it unless you deal with a network of users!! I have used linux with hardware that is not listed or "approved", and had success. Linux may not remain that geeky os that is sort of a status symbol. (I do not program, so I have no status using linux! :wink: )

Tread cautiously with warnings about being special in order to use linux.

In general I agree.... but I think a warning about compatibility of most games is fair. If you main use for your box is as a gaming box... than your better off with Windows or a console. I don't consider Wine a viable solution.

The best solution is too look for Linux alternatives.

"To find out if the hardware is supported, have them boot a live cd, for instance Knoppix." - If the instuctions require too much effort, it will not scare users potential away.

"Linux really isn't that hard. Windows isn't really that easy. It's just in the public opinion that it's easy. I decided that I didn't want to go that extra mile anymore with Win, and that I did with linux. Ergo, on my system, my webcam doesn't work with win, nor do I have sound from the tvcard under win. I recently got the webcam and didn't bother, could probably get it to work. The tv-card, I reinstalled the drivers, reinstalled the system etcetc." - I don't know. I maintain 11 PC's on a regular basis running Win95 to Win XP (plus 5 more now running Linux). All our hardware works with Windows, even those that specifically state in the box that they do not support a particular version . If it does not work, you should be able to grab an updated driver and get some sort of functionality.

Linux is similar with respect to drivers. Most everything works to a greater or lesser degree. But software is a different story. Our Legal Jurisprudence and Laws database simply does not run on Linux. It use Folio Bound Views. Tests on Wine did not work either.

I expect this to change in time. But if you don't give fair warning to potential users, I expect their first expereiance in Linux may be a bad one.

I am concerned when I see comments like "Don't choose Linux if...."

Microscrap knows marketing. You never talk about limitations in marketing. Microduffy has hardware problems, but you don't hear about it unless you deal with a network of users!! I have used linux with hardware that is not listed or "approved", and had success. Linux may not remain that geeky os that is sort of a status symbol. (I do not program, so I have no status using linux! :wink: )

Tread cautiously with warnings about being special in order to use linux.

Don't choose Linux if:

You like getting a virus/trojan.

You like your privacy.

Your a Dumbass! :P (you wouldn't be able to use windows either in this case)

If somebody just wants to send email and write letters then linux is the idea os.

Let somebody with a clue do the setup, then it just works, and keeps working with no further maintenance needed(except for backups, security updates, not that they would do that for windows either).