wireless connection in Mandriva

mystified

I have gentoo on my main box with a netgear router and have Mandriva on my daughter's box and I use a Netgear MA311 wireless nic. I just upgraded from 10.1 to LE and now everytime her computer reboots I have to reset the connection. It detects the card just fine every time when I go to reset the connection and it's worked fine with earlier versions of Mandrake. Any ideas?

No clue, however for setting her connection each time, you could just put a script in /etc./init.d and then one in /etc/rcS.d (starting AFTER the connection is supposedly setup, but making sure to /etc/init.d/networking restart at the end of the script), and it should startup at each boot. Kind of a workaround, but it should work (around)... :lol:

I remember someone with a wireless problem after an upgrade, although he was using ndiswrapper. Not sure if this is the same situation for yourself. He had to reinstall ndiswrapper, albeit a later version that he had recently, and it resolved the prob.

Hope that helps.

...now everytime her computer reboots I have to reset the connection. It detects the card just fine every time when I go to reset the connection

How do you see it is detected fine? And how do you "reset" the connexion?

Yves.

OK, so you go through all the steps each time, and by "reset" you mean you validate the Wizard at the end. Is that so?

What is the device for it? (It is probably wlan0)

Could you post the corresponding ifcfg file (eg: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0)?

BTW, do you have any way to know if it is the whole config that you have to reset each time, or just WPE/WPA? I ask because I was not able myself to enable WPE/WPA automatically on link-up (with hotplug), so I won't be able to help you with that.

BTW2 :) Is this WiFi nic always up (at boot): eg. PCI, or is it hotpluggable: eg: USB?

Yves.

OK, so you go through all the steps each time, and by "reset" you mean you validate the Wizard at the end. Is that so?

What is the device for it? (It is probably wlan0)

Could you post the corresponding ifcfg file (eg: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0)?

BTW, do you have any way to know if it is the whole config that you have to reset each time, or just WPE/WPA? I ask because I was not able myself to enable WPE/WPA automatically on link-up (with hotplug), so I won't be able to help you with that.

BTW2 :) Is this WiFi nic always up (at boot): eg. PCI, or is it hotpluggable: eg: USB?

Yves.

EVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
METRIC=10
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
USERCTL=yes
WIRELESS_MODE=Managed
WIRELESS_ESSID=any
DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
NEEDHOSTNAME=yes
PEERDNS=yes
PEERYP=no
PEERNTPD=no

My network card doesn't even show up in MCC unless I reconfigure it. And it's a pci card.

To reset the connection, run as root:

/etc/init.d/network(or networking) restart.

You can then put that into a script, which should work as long as it's run as root, to automate it.

I can try that but I explained to Yves the card doesn't even show up as being recognized in MCC unless I manually go thru the whole internet set up again.

I don't know if this is relevant, but my own ifcfg-wlan0 has:

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
WIRELESS_ESSID=<my own ESSID>

instead of

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
WIRELESS_ESSID=any

and I don't have (I'm not sure, but I may have removed it myself):

USERCTL=yes

Besides, make sure you have this line in /etc/modprobe.conf (assuming you have a 2.6 kernel):

alias wlan0 XXX

where XXX is the module for your WiFi nic.

Yves.