Mandriva 2006-3beta

AussieJohn

Thanks to Telstra Bigpond, I am just 35 minutes away from completing the download of the N0.1 cdrom iso for 2006-rc2.

I hope to have the other two isos by this afternoon (Now 2.20am) so with luck I will be running rc2 by this evening. Can't wait.

Cheers. John.

Well have finally installed 2006-rc2.

First problem was encountered during install. During the Monitor setup, I selected the Test button and got a scrambled coloured screen that froze everything. Had to do a hard reboot and after the nvidia logo came up got the same thing again.

Rebooted again but in safe mode and reinstalled the nvidia driver. rebooted again and flowed through to a normal login where I was able to check out everything.

I have had a couple of seg faults but everything seems to be working.

I have noticed that Mandriva seem to have ditched XMMS in favour of amarok. Personally I prefer xmms over the highly self promoting amarok as great as amarok is.

It is also a little disappointing that four quite small yet very valuable tools such as memtest, ksensors, knemo and filelight still have not been made part of the Mandriva 3 cdrom package yet some quite large but obscure games programs are. Yes I know games are more important than anythig else to some users.

I still cannot get the Epson usb scanner to work and yes the usb Joystick does work correctly.

So at the moment I am no further ahead than I was before installing 2006-rc2 but thems the breaks I quess.

It does seem to show however that the work in cooker on the various packages is of a very high order such that even when taken separately they don't necessarily screw up your system.

Will keep you posted. John.

• 1 month later...
Hi kristi.  I installed v3 and have been doing constant cooker updates but remember that these are package updates and not v3 updates.

I am waiting until my Australian ISP Telstra Bigpond has rc2 or later available on its free unmetered website ( doesn't count in the download limit) the same as v2 and v3 were. I downloaded updates late last night and found no change and am at this moment half way through the downloading of the latest updates.

I was using 10.1, usb auto mounting and Audio Cd auto mounting worked fine. 2006RC doesn't .

In 10.1

=====

/etc/dynamic/user-scripts/...... has some auto mounting scripts (Magic Dev???)

In 2006Rc

========

no scripts

could this be the problem???

Ben

could this be the problem???

Ben

No, it isn't.

Autmounting in any current Linux distro is as simple as having the HAL daemon running (the default rules should suffice), while there are a few goodies like ivman which run on top of HAL, and make life even easier.

Submount, supermount and all assorted stuff are a thing from the past- not to be used anymore.