Axene Office

payasam

For months I searched for Axene Xclamation, a DTP package which was made free. The site was and is around, but the download links led nowhere. Finally I found a place where the entire suite, Axene Office, was to be had. I have downloaded all the files, but they are source and I have no idea what to do now. Any help appreciated, or else a pointer to where I might find the procedure I should follow.

Installation instructions should be inside the package. But compiling from source is not suggested for newbies.

If you try it anyway, give us a link to the download location and someone will surely help.

edit

I looked at the axene website and according to that there should be an install.sh for text mode installation and a XInstall file for graphic mode installation. It doesn't even mention source code.

None of the download links work for me though.

Edited by dexter11

Dexter11, it's precisely the site with install.sh which has links which lead nowhere. Yes, it does not speak of source code.

Everyone must start everything as a newbie. Not attempting something because you haven't done it before is not exactly a recipe for progress.

Thanks, Devries, I thought you'd look in. The place to which you direct me is the one from which I got the files I have, one of which is XInstall-v201.src.tar.gz. It's the "src" that terrifies me.

Dexter11, it's precisely the site with install.sh which has links which lead nowhere. Yes, it does not speak of source code.

Everyone must start everything as a newbie. Not attempting something because you haven't done it before is not exactly a recipe for progress.

Well I won't hold you back. Just learning should be made with small steps IMHO.

Here you need to compile everything and not just Xclamation. The README file inside the Xinstall-v201.src.tar.gz package refers to binary installation so it's useless.

IMO before compiling Xclamation you should compile Axene SDK because it's very likely that Xclamation depends on it.

The normal way of compiling from source under Linux.

1. Unpack the package:

tar xvfz [i]<packagename>.tar.gz[/i]

2. Step in to the directory and run the configure script which is a command line utility which detects that everything is in your machine that is needed for compilation process.

cd [I]<dirname>[/I]
./configure

3. Run make this is the real compilation process. Can take some time depending on your machine and the source you are compiling.

make

If there are no error messages the proceed to the next step.

4. Become root, issue make install which copies every file to its place.

su
[I]<enter the root's password>[/I]
make install

That should be it.