Problems with Real Player 10

Caraibes

Hi guys,

I am using Mandriva LE2005.

I successfully downloaded the Real player RPM. I did installed it, so I could listen to internet radio, but it doesn't work.

First thing, originally, in the menu, there was already a Real player in the multimedia section, but it didn't help for radio. Now, since I installed the one that was recommended by Firefox (Real Player 10.5), it's nowhere to be found in the menu. To open it, I have to open the console and type : /usr/local/RealPlayer/realplay

-Is there a way to creat an icon on the desktop for Real Player ?

Second thing, whenever I try to listen to radio (it's that one : www.rfi.fr), I receive an error message with this text : "transmission incorrecte (rtsp://a1234.l663344176.c6633.e.lr.akamaistream.net/live/D/1234/6633/666/reflector:44176)"

I had real codecs installed, and that Helix player as well... Maybe I forgot something, can anybody give me advices or help...

thank you in advance...

I can help with the first question. No clue on the second.

Right-click on the desktop -> Create New -> File -> Link to Application ...

Then you can fill in the name you want for the desktop icon link in the General tab and the command info in the Application tab.

Right-click on the desktop -> Create New -> File -> Link to Application ...

Then you can fill in the name you want for the desktop icon link in the General tab and the command info in the Application tab.

Thanks for your answer, I tried, and it doesn't work... I'll have to figure out something...

Very strange! Those steps should create a desktop icon that opens RealPlayer when you click on it. Works on my LE2005 install.

Please double-check the command (presumably /usr/local/RealPlayer/realplay, from what you posted earlier) that you put in the icon Application tab. Are you getting any error messages?

Hi Heather,

I'll try all that... I am also using PCLinuxOS on another PC in the house, and I must say that it is really very user friendly! However, Mandriva LE2005 was the only distro to let me connect to the internet thru my USB ADSL modem Speedtouch 330, that's why it's either M$ or Mandriva for me in my main PC...

I just wish I could listen to my fav'radio stations... It's too bad most of them are using Windows Media Player, which I think can't be played whatsoever in Mandriva...

I can't believe how easy it was in PCLinuxOS, and how unsolvable it is with Mandriva !

I guess I'll find a solution with time...

Very strange!  Those steps should create a desktop icon that opens RealPlayer when you click on it.  Works on my LE2005 install.

Please double-check the command (presumably /usr/local/RealPlayer/realplay, from what you posted earlier) that you put in the icon Application tab.  Are you getting any error messages?

Hi Jboy,

I just did double-checked, and it still doesn't work... Here's what is says as an error message :

"Le service «/home/martin/Desktop/%2fusr%2flocal%2fRealPlayer%2frealplay.desktop» est mal formaté."

That basically means that the service «/home/martin/Desktop/%2fusr%2flocal%2fRealPlayer%2frealplay.desktop» is not formated correctly...

Strange, because whenever I type the very same command in a console, it opens the real player...

I am a bit discouraged, but... with patience, a solution will come my way...

Thanks for your help anyway...

Greetings, Cariabes!

I think you may have put the /usr/local/RealPlayer/realplay command in the wrong place.

Right-click on that desktop icon, select Properties, then click the Application tab, and put that command in the input box that says Command.

Edited by jboy

Greetings, Cariabes!

I think you may have put the  /usr/local/RealPlayer/realplay command in the wrong place.

Right-click on that desktop icon, select Properties, then click the Application tab, and put that command in the input box that says Command.

Well, yes it just worked...

I am in Gnome right now (to change a bit...) and I did "action"- "launch an application" and past the command... It worked fine...

Thanks... Now, do you think I can either create an icon or put the real player in the start menu ?