Help with Samba Share [solved]

tschwenke

Yes, Newbie here, so far so good. Doing this as a learning experience and it has exceeded expectations..

Running: 10.2 Mandriva 2005 LE

I have two 40gb drives in the machine. When I setup the partitions, I slightly modified what the 'auto' did and added a www and ftp partitions. Then I went to the second drive and made it fat32 and mounted it as /mnt/windows. I wanted this to be the primary share for the windows boxes in the house. Also, I figured if something went bad I could mount the drive in one of the windows boxes with no issues.

I have NOT tried using Swat yet, I have been modifying the smb.conf file manually. I can see my share, but I can not write to it to save my life. BUT, I can't write to it from the box itself either (unless logged on as root). It says that the mount is owned by root, group root. If I log on as root to try and change this, it will not do it! I can modify the pull downs, but nothing changes. I think if I get past this, then I just might be able to write to it. (yes, the users have been added to samba from root). I don't know why it made root the owner.

here is my fstab

/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda /mnt/cdrom iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hdd1 /mnt/windows vfat umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb8 /var/ftp ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb7 /var/www ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Here is the important section of smb.conf

[TAS-01-Data]
   comment = Server Data Area
   path = /mnt/windows
   valid users = travis amy
   public = no
   writeable = yes
   printable = no
 ;create mask = 0765

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Though this doesn't directly address the question, I have had great success using WEBMIN for my samba setup. The handy feature about using WEBMIN is that you can optionally view the config files from the samba WEBMIN interface.

As root:

urpmi webmin

It's that simple. Once I got the hang of what was going on I removed Webmin and was on my merry way.

My set up is very much like yours - I hope this helps.

/dev/hdd1 /mnt/windows vfat umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

try to change the umask, 0022 gives read-only access to ordinary users

change it to umask=0 .......... gives write access to ordinary users

but if you dont want to do that, try to create a directory under /mnt/windows, will make it.. /mnt/windows/sharedfolder. Then chown that folder to the group where travis and amy belongs... or #chmod 666 will give that folder a rw on all.

So your path in smb.conf will become

path = /mnt/windows/sharedfolder

Thanks, it is working...

A combination of using SWAT. Found I could add them as admin users which worked but not the best solution. So then used the umask=0 and put them back as valid users and bam, just what i wanted.

Now anyone can write to that drive from linux or from the share.

(I had looked up the umask and knew it was 755 since you subtract, but for some reason it didn't hit me what I was doing, I can give myself a big dummy on that)

Now the next step of getting darn JavaHMO to work again so I can get to my music from my TIVO again!

Thanks!