Kodak Easyshare camera. Can it be mounted?

omcaree

Hey there,

I've just got myself a new camera (Kodak EasyShare Z740) and to my surprise (and delight) it works fine with linux (Mandriva 2005LE). Plug it in (USB) and up pops flphoto and using "USB PTP class camera" I can retrieve all my photos. However, firstly I can not get hold of videos which I have taken on the camera (in an unknown format, but I'd like to see if they will play in Mandriva). And secondly, I find it more convenient to deal with external devices (such as MP3 players, mobile phones, and cameras) as storage devices.

I've had a quick look into gphoto2 which i believe is the heart of flphoto (and similar programs) and this does offer command line directory style browsing but it is somewhat cumbersome.

Ideally I'd like to be able to browse my camera using konqueror (and upload/download pictures/files to and from it as I wish), or if required use a gphoto2 frontend which looks the same.

As I said, for its main use the camera is working perfectly with Mandriva, but the windows software for kodak cameras does allow you to treat them as a sort of USB hard drive which would be ideal.

I've stayed windows free for months now, and I dont intend to go back just for camera functionality, but any solution would be welcomed.

Many thanks in advance,

Owen Mc

cheers for the reply, thought it'd be something simple. however what you suggested doesn't work.

typing "media:/" just brings up google (seaching for "media:/") and neither F9>Services and Go have a "Storage" option.

Is there something I need to install for konqueror to do this? or does my camera not support it?

Cheers again

Owen Mc

PS. Camera is plugged in (and working as usual in flphoto)

What you suggested was never unclear, it just doesn't work.

Here is a screenshot of mine to demonstrate what i mean. it shows F9 > Services and the result of typing "media:/camera" in the address bar.

Sorry for being a pain, but thanks for the help so far.

Owen Mc

post-10011-1125396092_thumb.jpg

Look under 'devices' :)

You can always manually mount the camera (well the storage card). When you plug in a /dev/sdxy (where x is the drive letter and y is the partition number). Make a camera folder in your /home/<yor name> folder. Open a console and type: mount /dev/sdxy /home/<your name>/camera. With konqueror browse that folder.

under devices I have hdc and hdd (DVD drives) and a floppy drive.

under /dev i only have sda, sda1, sda2, sda5, sdb and sdb1. and these drives (sda and sdb) corrispond to my 2 SATA drives.

looking at Harddrake I see the following with reference to my camera (under "Unknown/Others")

Identification
Vendor: ‎Eastman Kodak Company

Description: ‎KODAK EasyShare Z740 Zoom Digital Camera

Media class: ‎Imaging|Still Image Capture|Picture Transfer Protocol (PIMA 15470)

Connection
Bus: ‎USB

Bus PCI #: ‎1

PCI device #: ‎39

Vendor ID: ‎1034

Device ID: ‎1416

Misc
Module: ‎usbfs

Thanks for the link, as of yet I cant get it to work (problems during the final "make") but i'll work on it. However, I understand this only gives read-only access to the camera. using windows I can get read/write access, so this must be possible somehow? and it is ideally what I am looking for.

if mounting PTP isn't possible then so be it, I'll live without it. but if anyone out there knows how to mount it with read/write permissions then your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the posts so far

Owen Mc

A strange twist has occured. I installed various camera related things (kde-graphics and kamera) and now typing "camera://" into konqueror brings up a folder called "USB PTP Class Camera" and clicking on this takes me to the camera (pretty much as seen using gphoto2 at the terminal). However, browsing this is incredibly slow and more often than not I reviece "Could not read file /store_00010001" errors. gphoto2 then refuses to work (after recieving errors in konqueror) and i have to reset the camera and try again.

All still works fine using gphoto2 (flphoto, digikam etc..) but konqeuror tries and fails. Any ideas? or should I just stick with gphoto2?

Thanks again

Owen Mc