logging in as root

ilia_kr

In general it is possible, although in some distros (including Mandriva) it's disabled by default. There's no good reason at all to load X as root though.

Second question: on Mandriva you can use Mandrake Control Center and set it not loading X automatically, and on most distros (not all)you just have to do edit /etc/inittab. Find a line in the configuration file reading like

id:5:initdefault:

change it to

id:3:initdefault:

and presto.

You could log in completely as root, but I wouldn't do that, quite dangerous. There's an easier way though, at least with KDE: right-click on desktop, choose Link to Application, in the Application tab, choose command and enter "kdesu konqueror". Then choose an icon that tells you not to touch it lightly :). It'll create a root instance of konqueror where you can delete anything you wish. Be careful!

Yup, it so dangerous I've been doing it for 4+ years w/o prob ;) Technically yes, there's a security risk but that is the case anytime a human starts a manmade pc.

You can disable the dm (display manager) at boot in mcc (mandrake control center) and tell the graphical interface to not be started at boot as well. That will give you a login prompt. Often /etc/inittab is ignored by most dm's if they are told to start in most distros. Once logged in just type startx. The default desktop specified in .dmrc will be loaded. If you want another de (desktop environment) or want to switch between de's edit .dmrc or install ...hmmm...ooops, it has been so long I don't remember its name. It's a console dm. Or make an .xinitrc in your home directory. Whatever is uncommented will run when you use startx from init 3 (console)

#!/bin/bash
nvidia-settings --load-config-only &
enable_X11_numlock &
#(sleep 1; xset s off s noblank dpms 0 0 0) &

#exec /usr/bin/gnome-session

exec /usr/bin/startkde

#(sleep 9; gnome-terminal --hide-menubar --geometry 53x16+0+28) &
#(sleep 7; /usr/bin/gnome-settings-daemon) &
#exec /usr/bin/enlightenment

to su to root type

su <Enter>

...enter root password <Enter>

to manually (as root) disable the dm use;

chkconfig dm off

again inttab will be ignored if there is nothing to start X

to temp stop it (don't do it in X)

service dm stop

but it will run at next boot unless you disable it in mcc or with chkconfig

Edited by bvc

Yup, it so dangerous I've been doing it for 4+ years w/o prob ;) Technically yes, there's a security risk but that is the case anytime a human starts a manmade pc.
Umm, bvc, although you are right in some respect, imho you should not tell people that logging in as root is without risks and encourage them to use root as default account. If users are not well trained in system administration and handling of config files (and most users here are not Linux experts), they can really destroy their system with a few mouseclicks.

YOU might know what you are doing and thus do not run into serious problems. But not everyone has your computer knowledge. ;) Users with little or no prior experience in Linux should (IMHO) never use the root gui if possible if they don't want to reinstall their system every now and then.

Just my two cents. :)

Umm, bvc, although you are right in some respect, imho you should not tell people that logging in as root is without risks and encourage them to use root as default account. If users are not well trained in system administration and handling of config files (and most users here are not Linux experts), they can really destroy their system with a few mouseclicks.

YOU might know what you are doing and thus do not run into serious problems. But not everyone has your computer knowledge. ;) Users with little or no prior experience in Linux should (IMHO) never use the root gui if possible if they don't want to reinstall their system every now and then.

Just my two cents. :)

I said no such thing :rolleyes: Where'd di I say there was no risk? I said the opposite. Where did I encourage anyone? You people need to stop reading into what I really say. I did actually answer the question unlike others and gave choice where choice is due....to the owner of the box ;)

also, like I said, I did it when I was a n00b and wasn't well trained in system administration and handling of config files. :rolleyes: One just needs a little common sense, is all ;)

Where did I encourage anyone?
The wording you use can be misunderstood by users who do not know you as well as we do. When you write that it is "so dangerous" that you have been "using the root account for 4+ years" it sounds for a newcomer as if running as root by default would be a "no-problemo" thing and nothing could go wrong.

I hope you understand my point of view. :)

IMO if you want filemanagement with root priviledges (including config files' editing), then there's nothing safer and simpler than a root Midnight Commander.

Factly, MC runs with no X at all under a virtual console, so I fail to see why one should load X as root. The only reason I knew was running audio apps like Jack and Ardour, but the new kernels perform equally well with these apps, no matter if you use a normal user or a root login account...

No, I don't...but I understand choice, and the freedom to express our opinion w/o people putting words in our mouths and twisting what we say just because they choose to push their own interpretaion on everyone else.

bvc, I have not tried to twist what you say. But maybe you should try to read your own post with a newbies attitude. I guess you will understand my concerns then. Of course, everyone is free to wreck his distro as much as he wants. :rolleyes:

IMO if you want filemanagement with root priviledges (including config files' editing), then there's nothing safer and simpler than a root Midnight Commander.

Factly, MC runs with no X at all under a virtual console, so I fail to see why one should load X as root. The only reason I knew was running audio apps like Jack and Ardour, but the new kernels perform equally well with these apps, no matter if you use a normal user or a root login account...

Yes, it seems to be a good idea, thanks.

The only disadvantage with MC, for me, is that i'm not used to it and i want something more familiar, perhaps the conqueror with root privileges.