Postfix + smtp-auth [solved]

ethraza

Hi!

I'm seting smtp-auth with my postfix mail server and Mandriva LE2005.

The things like tls,ssl,etc are all working ok.

The smtpd authentication is working too, but...

If I connect to my smtp with a e-mail client, I can configure it to send authentication, and works great. Without user/pass the recipinet will be rejected.

But if I send a mail from another server, like hotmail for example, to a e-mail in my domain, my smtp server is rejecting the connection of the hotmail becose it is not sending user/pass. :wall:

It is obvious to me that if a e-mail client sends user/pass and want to send e-mail to another domains it can.

And is obvious too that if another smtp server have a destination with my domain it can send without authentication. And cannot send e-mails to another domains using my smtp server, becouse it is not authenticated to do so.

So my problem is:

How to ask for smtp-auth to e-mail clients but permit other smtp server to send e-mail to my server?

Thanks any help!

your smtp should be able to accept email from the internet and TLS should not interfere with it. as long as it has a FQDN.. what is the return error anyway? there should be a return or undelivered mail messages ( when you send email from yahoo to your own domain) how about the logs.../var/log/mail/error or /var/log/mail/info .. have you check that?

Edited by aioshin

Thanks for the reply!

I had undestand. If someone wants to know...

The postfix must be configures like this:

- Don't force TLS, so other mail servers can connect with you.

- Relay to outside domains, only with authenticate.

- Authenticate only with TLS or SSL. Without secure connects don' t accept authentication for securety reasons.

- So without authentication, mails come from outside domain, can only delivered to yous inside domains, so no outside spam will be accepted.

- Configure postfix to check RCPT TO and the existence of domains that come from.

- Configure the access list from www.securitysage.com is a good idea.

- Configure clamav with clamav-filter and spamassassin in clamav-filter is a very good idea. For obvious spam control and speed reasons.

And before doing that and migrated all sendmails configs, like virtual domains and alias, I become a very happy postfix user/admin, no more spammers here. :)