2006 Beta 3 Problem

Guest patm

I have installed previous versions with no problems.

2005 LE

2006 Beta 1

2006 Beta 2

After installing 2006 Beta 3 (both by updating and then by doing a full install)

the install seems to go all right until I reboot the computer.

As of Sept 7, 2005 the newer 2006 Beta 4 does not work also!

Instead of the normal screen, I get a black screen with a series of dashed lines in the upper left side of the screen.

They look like:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

If this is a problem with the video card, it didn't appear on previous versions.

The previous 2 were updates and everything worked.

The downloads were correct as I checked the MD5 sums.

Puzzled!!

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

I suggest trying the following to see if it works:

From the boot menu, select the Failsafe option.

This will establish whether or not you can boot into the command line okay (I think this takes you to init 1, which is single-user mode as root).

Run the XFdrake tool and re-configure until you get a positive test screen response.

Reboot with normal boot option.

Others may suggest additional things to do, but this is a reasonable first step.

No, I just misunderstood.

Possibly a bootloader problem?

If you've got the install CDs, you could boot from CD1 and go into rescue mode. At the menu, press F1, and enter rescue at the command line. That will take you to a menu where you have several options, such as "Reinstall Bootloader", "Reinstall Windows Bootloader (if you're dual booting and chose to overwrite the MBR using lilo), and "Mount Partitions under /mnt".

What did you choose for the booloader option when you installed? MBR?

You could try the Reinstall Bootloader option. If that doesn't work, you could try the "Mount Partitions under /mnt" and go in and poke around at the command line to see if you can see anything wrong with /etc/lilo/conf, or other system configuration files.

This post gives instructions on how to do that:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=199513

Since it's happened to you twice (with both an update and full install), something strange may be going on. I've installed 2006 Beta 3 and had no problems (I chose the floppy bootloader option). The fact that you can't even get a bootloader menu makes me think something is borked with the bootloader.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried 2006 Beta 4 and still no good.

Both Beta 3 and 4 do not work, no matter what I have tried.

I had some problems with some other Distro's but Mandrake has always worked flawlessly

When Beta 2 or below,at the end of startup, there is a relay click and then the graphical display comes on.

With 3 or 4 there is no ckick in the monitor, just the dashed lines displayed on a black screen.

The complete setup is the same on all versions, but the new beta's will not work no matter what I do.

I have tried F1, lilo, grub, booting from disk etc.

Something has drastically changed with the new beta's

The computer is a Toshiba Equium 7350s

Graphics settings:

Intel 810

Viewsonic A70-2 Monitor

1024x768

I think something has changed - or has been left out - of the Intel driver!

I'm going to give up and stay with 2006 Beta 2 until they rectify what was changed, as it is not giving me any problems.

Too bad they have screwed up the newer versions so badly. :wall::help:

Edited by patm

Well before I installed 2006 beta3 it was working only 78% on my system,now I installed 2006 beta 4 it works 95%.

What is not working right is when I go to KDE CONTROL MODULE and go shutdown.I see Allow shutdown Local NOBODY,change to everybody and click on APPLY it will work few times but later day I return the same problem again,I can not use restart my system.

I have two HD one HD is win98 and the other HD is winXPpro with 2006 beta 4,so I like to restart,I can`t so again I have to go to shutdown........

How can I solve the problem?

Mandriva-user

Well before I installed 2006 beta3 it was working  only 78% on my system,now I installed 2006 beta 4 it works 95%.

What is not working right is when I go to KDE CONTROL MODULE and go shutdown.I see Allow shutdown Local NOBODY,change to everybody and click on APPLY it will work few times but later day I return the same problem again,I can not use restart my system.

I have two HD one HD is win98 and the other HD is winXPpro with 2006 beta 4,so I like to restart,I can`t so again I have to go to shutdown........

How can I solve the problem?

Mandriva-user

Not sure - 78% of what... 95% of what...?

On your shutdown prob, make sure you have set Configure your Desktop/System/Login Manager/Users tab correctly.

Just a thought.

Kristi

I think Lilo has screwed up your MBR (as it often does) and no matter how many times you reinstall you will get the problem until you Clear (wipe) the MBR and then start afresh. In tips and Tricks I think there are listed a number of ways suggested for clearing the MBR so I am not about to type it all out again.

I prefer to use Grub and it has never screwed up my MBR and as you can see from my other recent posts, I too have been playing around with 2006-2 and 2006-3 betas and booting up has not been a problem.

A tip for those who update via cooker and are using an nvidia video card. When you update the 4 or 5 xorg rpms you will find that the Nvidia logo comes up as normal after you reboot but you still cannot log-in, but get an error message instead. To fix this you need to reinstall the nvidia driver again as originally done even though it is using the same driver again. You will also need to open vi or vim again and again remake the recommended change in /etc/X11/xorg.conf namely change "nv" to "nvidia".

Cheers. John.

A tip for those who update via cooker and are using an nvidia video card. When you update the 4 or 5 xorg rpms you will find that the Nvidia logo comes up as normal after you reboot but you still cannot log-in, but get an error message instead. To fix this you need to reinstall the nvidia driver again as originally done even though it is using the same driver again. You will also need to open vi or vim again and again remake the recommended change in /etc/X11/xorg.conf namely change "nv" to "nvidia".

Hey John, I installed Sept 6 version of 2004.0.4 and updated cooker to today. That borked my Nvidia and I wound up at a prompt. I couldn't re-install Nvidia because my source is now 2.6.12-12 whereas my /lib/modules is still at 2.6.12-11

Thoughts?

tia

Kristi

EDIT: got it - installed kern 12-12

Edited by kristi

Not sure - 78% of what...  95% of what...?

On your shutdown prob, make sure you have set Configure your Desktop/System/Login Manager/Users tab correctly.

The 78% is working for me on 2006 beta 3 and rest have a few bug,things not working on my system can`t playing music(don`t see any of Hardware on my system and 95% is working for me on 2006 beta 4,the one problem is shutdown so I can restart again.

But I try Configure my Desktop/System/Login Manager/Users

Thanx Kristi