Mandrake 9.1 Beta 3 out

Guest boonders

people, your still missing the point! Why have an "Upgrade" option if NOBODY is going to use it because EVERYBODY knows it is terrible. If M$ had these problems, they wouldn't be able to sell 90% of their commercial XP licenses. I'm saying, the standards need to be raised, in this aspect.
While doing the upgrade, did u have all the cd's ? The problem is that if the install cds do not have an rpm that is on ur system, it simply cannot be upgraded. I checked ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Li...ndrake-iso/i586 and found only two ISO images for the 9.1beta3 but there are 3 for 9.0 in ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Li...ux/Mandrake/iso . Obviously, not all rpms can be upgraded. So, even for the perfect install process, upgrade is a risky issue. MS$ windoze hardly has that many apps to install so that problem does not appear. However, if u r sure that an rpm was on the 9.0 install and also on the 9.1beta3 install cds but was not upgraded then we have something to worry about.

Just my observations....I did a new install with the beta 3 and it works pretty much flawlessly for me. A pariah to one is a godsend to another I guess. The update sources were hosed after installation but I was able to delete the references and fix that. It didn't load in the kernel-sources after I selected it on installation but I reinstalled it later with urpmi so I could build from rpm-source the Nvidia geforce drivers. Has been real stable so far. MUCH better than beta 1 which I removed after 2 days. And it uses Mozilla 1.3a, which works very well for me. Really, haven't found anything else broken....it just works, and I likes it!

i haven't been able to get the nvidia drivers installed in any of the 9.1 betas. i'm using the source files but they error out when i try rpm -- rebuild.... time to hit the bugzilla site.

It did work for me but I use the latest cooker version so maybe the solved it already.

Guest boonders

well here is the glaring problem: I've upgraded Red Hat systems with no problems before. Why does Mandrkake offer an upgrade option if nobody is going to use it? Does ANYBODY use the upgrade on Mandrake? I'm guessing nobody does twice :)

Guest megalex

First .. I love mandrake!! it has always been my favorite distro..

I'm partly disapointed on their third beta.

I could not get it to install properly.

My usb mouse that was connected to a M$ keyboard (the one with a 2 usb hub) did not work during install.

That didn't bother me much cause i could trouble shoot that after install..

I was VEEERY happy to find that it detected my ata100raid/0 :) (hpt-370/372)

but after i configured it installed and rebooted my hpt bios told me that the array was broken.

Then i tried (what i always use) software raid. I created my md0 and configured it and right after i pressed done it said something like (failed to load mkraid)

Thats it I couldn't go any further..

Sorry so many are having issues. But, as pointed out, it is Beta. Me and ezroller hosed my 9.0 install when we tried to install KDE3.1 (before Texstar). So I just went ahead and put Beta 2 on my main Linux box. The only issues I had to report are a few of the configs not running. Other than that, it has been a dream - and KDE 3.1 is the s**t!

Just upgraded to Beta 3 (the Beta upgrades are the best use of an upgrade feature I can find thus far with *nix). It took about 10 min. and I was back up and running with no diff.

Mozilla does seem to load a little quicker and the Moz fonts are nicer in Beta 3 than Beta 2. Hardly can see what that has to do with ML 9.1 but it is as far as I can tell.

Best O' Luck.

Considering how early and incomplete beta 1 is, I guess there will be a few more betas (2 or 3) before it hits the RC stage. So far, out of the beta software used in the Mandrake beta, only KDE 3.1 hits the final version. The rest (kernel, xfree, gnome, and maybe others) are still in the beta or rc version. I hope those programs become finals before 9.1 is released.

I guess enough people finally griped about the crappy looking fonts Mandrake has used in the past. Oh, my God. The fonts in 9.1 are righteous indeed. I knew they were playing with something when the fonts in Moz looked better in Beta 3, but I just played around in Open Office 1.0.2 /Word App and they really do look nice. A whole lot better than any previous version of Mandrake.

Since no one has posted since I scripted the above I just wanted to add the following: The Nimbus script used on 9.1 B3 has to be the best choice of default font I have seen in the 16 years I've been using computers. Not even Mac looks this clean, this elegant. Kudos to the ML team - it took `em a while but they got it right!