Safe windows browsing?

Gowator

OK, we know that some kids will be out there browsding in windows and we all know abstinence is best but its a reality .. for the sake of future generations we need to prepare ...

/sarcasm off

OK I just installed squid at home because my ISP locks me to a Mac Add (WiFi) and I can only get reception sometimes with my laptop on the windowsill!!

So now I installed squid and Im using the wired connection to a Wifi bridge and connecting my other PC's

My GF's father insists on using Windows and has 2 PC's, his laptop he never uses to connect to the internet and his desktop which is old, tired and ready to be retired...

What i wanna do is make the old PC a proxy server... but he can still get virus's etc. if its fully open??

any experience, with my present squid i can browse my directories even in linux ... how do I block this?

what is done in big companies to prevent viri etc.??

I never have/never will have an anti-virus and had surfed daily for the past umm 8 years. I had my laptop hacked (using windows) in 98 - 97. And Spyware has come and go thought.

Security is a state of mind.

If you have a gf with basic computing needs. I think is better to teach her how to use a LiveCD. Is the most secure thing out there since the OS is on a CD and the DATA is on the Harddrive.

I suggest to use a USB key instead thought since this is usually safer.