Tuxracer

Trio3b

OK.....kids mad.

PC with VIA 800mhz CPU. Kids wanted tuxracer, so put it on, but would run slow, jerky, delayed response; heard about these VIA chips being no good for gaming so...........put MDK 10.0 w/tuxracer on Intel Pllll 600mhz and presto.........tuxracer was fine.

For unrelated reasons had to reload MDK 10.0 onto different HD, BUT IN SAME Intel Plll 600mhz PC.

Now tuxracer seems to be eating up system resources and is running slow and jerky like in the VIA PC which leads me to believe it is NOT the VIA chip causing problem. All other arcade games on both PCs are fine.

It's NOT the VIA chip.........yup ......monitor settings..........go ahead and yell :oops:

Thanks

[topics merged by spinynorman]

Edited by Trio3b

Spoke too soon about tux on VIA 800 PC. Have tried all different monitor and resolution settings but no luck - still jerky. Works OK on Plll PC.

MCC does not have the SiS 325 2D/3D accelerator integrated card (in the VIA PC)in its monitor vendor list but has many other SiS cards; am trying different ones.

Could this be the problem and if so, how difficult to find and load updated drivers?

Also, frozen-bubble is on menu but won't load and does not show up on package install list, but when I open CD and find frozen-bubble rpm, then install it, says everything already loaded.

Any ideas?

kids getting ready to mutiny :cheeky:

Thanks

Run those games from a console and post the messages here.

Videocard drivers depend on what type of GPU your video card is using. Basically there are two main GPU manufacturers ATI and nVIDIA. Both make Linux drivers but ATI Linux drivers are said to be crappy. Of course for 3D games (like tuxracer) you have to install the driver first if you haven't done yet.

A jerky motion in tuxracer usually means that 3D accelaration does not work. It's easy to check. Open the terminal and run
glxinfo | grep direct

Sorry about the delay,

According to MCC hdwr, the video is:

SiS 325 2D/3D accelerator

location on bus 1::

type display-vga

in the monitor settings I have noticed that MDK setup likes to setup custom vesa for the default monitor setting instead of vga. Could this be a problem? Other than the games, everything seems normal.

message upon loading frozen bubble from console

Can't load '/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/SDL_perl/SDL_perl.so' for module SDL_perl: libGL.so.1: cannot handle TLS data at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 229.

at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi/SDL.pm line 9

Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi/SDL.pm line 9.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi/SDL.pm line 9.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/games/frozen-bubble line 51.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/games/frozen-bubble line 51.

here is the output of glxinfo | grep direct

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

direct rendering: No

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

Thanks for any help :unsure:

Edited by Trio3b