Nero for Linux

Crashdamage

I saw that Nero released an updated version of NeroLINUX. I downloaded the 10-day free trial edition to try with my new H-P DVD burner. Installed no problem, and works very nice, much better than the earlier version. In fact, nice enough I bought it, mostly to show support for commercial Linux software (what the heck, it's only $19.95 US), but also because I've long used Nero in Windoze, so it gives me a consistent UI.

Anyone else try it? Whadaya think about it? You can check it out here:

http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX.html

Edited by Crashdamage

I have used it and found out 1. I can't use it with my OEM windows serial (which I never used: since even for windows there are much better recording apps, some of them being freeware), 2. it's darn ugly GTK 1.2, 3. K3B does way more, in a better way and with no cost at all.

I think that if Ahead GMBH will ever think of attracting Linux users buying their products, then they do have to invent something more articulate, and certainly something better looking than this thingy...

Just my $ .02 of course.

I have used it and found out 1. I can't use it with my OEM windows serial (which I never used: since even for windows there are much better recording apps, some of them being freeware), 2. it's darn ugly GTK 1.2, 3. K3B does way more, in a better way and with no cost at all.

I think that if Ahead GMBH will ever think of attracting Linux users buying their products, then they do have to invent something more articulate, and certainly something better looking than this thingy...

Just my $ .02 of course.

I suggest you read the thread creators post again, he didn't ask if there was better programs, he asked for everyones opinion on nero linux what does that have to do with k3b? Stop shoving your opinion down peoples throats. Also if you actually read his post, he wanted nero because he used it a lot in windows and it helps to have programs the same/similiar.

of course now i'm completely off topic, but whatever it needed to be said.

Edited by Lowe

Scarecrow said...

1. I can't use it with my OEM windows serial...

Did you expect it would? I mean - well, Opera, for instance requires a separate license for the Win and Linux versions. Nothing unusual.

2. it's darn ugly GTK 1.2,

No, that was the 1st version, which did kinda suck. The new Nero-2.0.0.2 release is GTK-2.0, and borrows some of the GUI components of Gnome Toaster.

3. K3B does way more, in a better way and with no cost at all.

I thought it was fairly nice now, maybe not **quite** up to kb3, but it now supports pretty much anything you want to do with any burner supported by Nero 6.6 for Windows, In other words, it's well, good enough. I haven't played with it too much yet, but from early impression, it may become my #1 burning app in Linux now.

And as a side benefit for me, it also gets me even closer to the point of not needing to install KDE at all.

No, it's not free, but $19.95 ain't bad, and if we want to see more common Windoze apps ported to Linux, more Linux software in boxes at CompUSA, more desktop Linux users, at some point software makers have to have some $$$ incentive to port software to Linux.

Edited by Crashdamage

I suggest you read the thread creators post again, he didn't ask if there was better programs, he asked for everyones opinion on nero linux what does that have to do with k3b? Stop shoving your opinion down peoples throats. Also if you actually read his post, he wanted nero because he used it a lot in windows and it helps to have programs the same/similiar.

of course now i'm completely off topic, but whatever it needed to be said.

It is perfectly acceptable to express an opinion in the manner that scarecrow did. If you feel a post is inappropriate in anyway then please feel free to contact a moderator or admin so that we may address it.

Thank you

mystified

I haven't tried Nero Linux, for Nero Windows is very nice. K3b's good enough ATM, but I'm glad you support Linux with cash, always helps Ahead and other people in terms of incentives. If it's too ugly make sure you get a GTK theme in .gtkrc and .gtkrc-2.0, but if you already did that, dunno what to tell you, lol.

/ramble

As Crashdamage says with Nero Linux you don't have to install KDE libs which is a plus for all of those who doesn't want KDE apps, libs etc. on their system. I'm very forward when it comes to commercial programs to linux and support/buy what I can afford to make sure linux have future in the long run.

But A.I., what do you think of it? Or anyone else who has actually tried the **new** version? I'm really not interested in what people thought of the **old** version. We all know it was kind of a P.O.S., alpha stuff. But it was also obvious Nero was just dippin' their toes in Linux waters with that. It wasn't even for sale, it was a freebie if I remember right. They knew it wasn't worth $$ to get it, they just wanted to get some users to try it and give some feedback. Now they seem to be gettin' more serious.

Personally I haven't tried it on Linux. I do use it on Windows and like it. I think the main thing here is not how "ugly" it maybe, but that a Windows app IS being ported to Linux. The 20 bucks it costs is nothing if you think about a co. actually making an attempt. I just hope that people don't warez the heck out of the app so that Ahead makes some money off of this. Sounds bad to some, but if one co. makes money from porting to Linux other co. are going to. Which can only lead to more "main stream" apps that window users considering using Linux more pleasant.

I like it:

The look reminds me of KDE look.

Burn stable, burned everything I find usefull Image, copy discs (used 10 CDs to the test). Lot's of option to advance stuff. When it starts up it detect if you DMA is optimized or need to be tweaked for faster performance.

In the package description it says:

NeroLINUX uses Nero 6.6's embedded API to bring Nero's powerful CD/DVD-writer

functions to the Linux Desktop.

Don't really know what it means....

Pretty much my feeling too. I went in not expecting much after that 1st Nero release, but was pleasantly surprised and really like it. Very nice, polished look, more so than kb3 on my system. So far totally stable. Not quite as comprehensive a feature set as kb3, but everything you'll likely ever need. Yeah, the DMA check is good, and the manual is good too. $20 well-spent. I hope it generates a little buzz and support for Nero's Linux efforts.

I've made it official - I put Nero at the top of the list of burners in my Fluxbox menu and assigned a hotkey.

But then, I could still be wrong - anyone else?