Why Java?

Jza

so personally i don't like java. i don't enjoy coding in java. i use matlab alot and the java interface is unstable at best and uses alot of the resources. so why do i bother to learn java? it's completely necessary.

there's this language that can go cross-platform (with relative ease). it's so widely used that alot of schools are picking it up as their primary teaching language. that's huge. free compilers abound. it's nice from alot of standpoints.

i don't particularly think c++ (and especially plain old c) is easy to code in. did that stop most of the modern world from uysing it? it can be made horrible cryptic. but it's fast and served the purpose of the time. plus it's versatile.

java fills the same niche today. it runs well enough and can cut production time way down.

I wonder if people have alternatives.. or rather I think if people see as Python as a better alternative. Eric Raymond think so, and that caused some discussion about if python is an alternative to Java.

Sun Exec. got a laugh, while others actually did migrate, some use them both under Jython and well at the end is a matter of preference. While the Free Software Foundation calls for making their Java application Gnu/Java compatible. I use floss for more than pragmatic reasons so yeah I dig the philosophical reasons to and wonder if there are people that actually care about the philosophy of floss.