How come mandrake became mandiva?

MottS

Hello everyone !

Just for the currous ones, yes I'm still alive :P . I'm not fooling around with computers anymore. I bought a sport bike 2 years ago and I'm always on it when I'm not actually working :D . I still run MDK 9.0 SMP on my old dual pentium machine (kind of a server for my needs) and I run xp on my desktop simply because I need it for my job.

Now, I wanted to take some news about Mandrake today, like what is the new version, what are the new features and noticed that the mandrake.com site is down and I see Mandriva everywhere.

What's goin on ?

Thanks

MOttS

Mandrake bought Connectiva.

And with their powers combined, they form to make...

:drum:

MANDRIVA!

That, and there was the whole lawsuit over the use of Mandrake from the comic company with rights to Mandrake the Magician - so I imagine that pushed them to change names, too.

You don't know what you've started, MottS ;) Many people here are unhappy with the name change. Personally, doesn't matter to me, but you know geeks :P

All of the old Mandrake sites are gone, it's all Mandriva now. Mandrivalinux.com, etc.

p.s. - you should hang around more :P who cares if you don't mess around with your system anymore! just post in off-topic ;)

Edited by tyme

All of the old Mandrake sites are gone, it's all Mandriva now.  Mandrivalinux.com, etc.

Yeah, but not on many of the mirrors yet. Many of them still use Mandrakelinux or some Mandrake reference rather than Mandriva.

I guess that will cause a whole bunch of urpmi problems for folks when, and if, they ever change.

Yeah, but not on many of the mirrors yet.  Many of them still use Mandrakelinux or some Mandrake reference rather than Mandriva.

I guess that will cause a whole bunch of urpmi problems for folks when, and if, they ever change.

It does already. Some mirrors that worked for several years without a problem do not work anymore. :angry: