Ubuntu

I also experimented with trying to load ubuntu packages from the ubuntu install cd onto my kubuntu....no luck. Is Ubuntu one of those distros that are absolute heaven when youre on line and useless when you surf the net only sporadically? I'd like the option to upgrade online or add on from cds, even if its not the latest of the latest. Leave heat seeking to missiles, imho.....

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to add a CD with stuff to ubuntu just:

sudo apt-cdrom add

To add Gnome to your Kubuntu:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Also take a look here: http://www.mrbass.org/linux/ubuntu/

Excellent link! One more question....Knowing that the Drake (ubuntu) is on its way, would it make sense to set up an ubuntu system with Kubuntu Hedgehog as the base and (if it would work) packages from Ubuntu (which Im afraid might be Warthog)?!?

Or wait till the latest release and get a Kubuntu version of the newest? Would an upgrade to the latest be painless or is it better to just install the new one clean?

As it's less painfull to upgrade a .deb based distro than a .rpm distro there's a chance that something goes wrong. I have heard of successfull upgrades and unsuccesfull upgrades. My advise is to make clean install. You could also just running the (k)ubuntu you have now and order the newest (k)ubuntu. It's free and you don't even have to pay for the mail.

By the way it's not called Drake in ubuntu :). It's called Synaptic Package Manager:)

As it's less painfull to upgrade a .deb based distro than a .rpm distro...

Isn't that some kind of long-running myth?

Last time I fresh-installed Mdv on my main PC, it was Mandrake9.1. Since then, I have upgraded (from CD) to 10.0CE, and upgraded using only urpmi up to 2005LE (and soon 2006:))

After all this, my heavily customized PC still runs everything OK. The only manual thing I had to do was to add "devfs=nomount" to my kernel strings

Yves.

As it's less painfull to upgrade a .deb based distro than a .rpm distro...

Isn't that some kind of long-running myth?

Last time I fresh-installed Mdv on my main PC, it was Mandrake9.1. Since then, I have upgraded (from CD) to 10.0CE, and upgraded using only urpmi up to 2005LE (and soon 2006:))

After all this, my heavily customized PC still runs everything OK. The only manual thing I had to do was to add "devfs=nomount" to my kernel strings

Yves.

yes it is a myth. My mdv le 2005 was also upgrade via urpmi from ML-9.1 :headbang: ...oh, and I didn't have to do anything, anywhere. Oh, except when I upgraded with a screwy cooker, but it fixed itself.

Edited by bvc

So what are you all ubuntists going to do now when imho the last trumpcard has been used? I mean, Mandriva 2006 has SMART with exactly the same look as Synaptic.

apt-get is no longer an excuse to use Ubuntu :cheeky::cheesy:

Edited by solarian

Hmm... well, Gnome in Ubuntu is as tweaked as Mandrivas Gnome. Okay, Ubuntu has a newer Gnome release. But I get that with Fedora, too and it ain't tweaked. ;)

btw: I will try the next Ubuntu release. Maybe it will work better with my hardware.