absolute newb saying hi

Guest REBOUND101

Guest REBOUND101

hi all rebound101 here im new to the forum and linux. just wondering wat the best and easy linux to dl and where to dl it from.i have had NO watsoeva experience in programing or linux so im kinda scared im gunna stuff up my comp lol. anyway ive got xp pro installed on my puda anddont wanna reformat cananyone help me out and make this as easy as possible.

cheers

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

hi all rebound101 here im new to the forum and linux. just wondering wat the best and easy linux to dl and where to dl it from.i have had NO watsoeva experience in programing or linux so im kinda scared im gunna stuff up my comp lol. anyway ive got xp pro installed on my puda anddont wanna reformat cananyone help me out and make this as easy as possible.

cheers

first, you don't need to be a programmer to become a linux user :P

and since you dont want to reformat, and still want to try linux, you can download thus liveCD linux... like knoppix, or try to visit http://www.distrowatch.com for more flavors. Other options, if you have thus partition tool like that of partiton magic, If you still have available free space for your Linux, you can repartition your disk and allocate some for the penguin for dual boot... and since you are here anyway, and you decided to install one in your box, well, try Mandriva instead.. its a Linux distro that is very easy to install.... here's the download page ... http://www1.mandrivalinux.com/en/ftp.php3

Edited by aioshin

I agree that a LiveCD version of Linux is a good way to 'get your feet wet' so to speak, without running the risk of truely stuffing up a working install. There are always risks, but it is generally safer that way.

If you decide, however, that you do want something that you can install and muck with; I suggest either Mandriva or Ubuntu

You will have to do some partition resizing, unless you have a second hard drive lying around that has nothing on it. Those are, from popular opinion (but not necessarily everyone's opinion :P ) the 2 most user-friendly and newbie-friendly distributions out there.

Oh, and welcome to the board!

Welcome!

I reccomend Ubuntu, for a few reasons:

1 - It has a LiveCD, so you can get familiar with it before installing.

2 - Its installer can safely resize NTFS partitions, so you could install it alongside Windows without a hassle.

3 - It is a very friendly distro and doesn't confuse you by overloading you with software apps that you may not need - it comes with a decent selection to get you started.

You don't need to know anything about programming to use Linux - heck, I can barely program an echo command :P All I can do is a little PHP and a lot of HTML - in no way beneficial to Linux useability ;)

Take the plunge! You won't regret it and if you do, we're here to help!

2 - Its installer can safely resize NTFS partitions, so you could install it alongside Windows without a hassle.

but still, make sure you have a backup of all important files on that drive/partition because it never hurts to be safe. :)

have fun learning. :)

ciao!

but still, make sure you have a backup of all important files on that drive/partition because it never hurts to be safe. :)

have fun learning. :)

ciao!

Forgot to mention that :cheesy:

Thanks ramfree17!

Welcome!

Mandriva (from my experience) does a damn good job of this as well. Like ramree says, make sure you back up files before engaging in this.

Good luck (not that you will need either way......) and watch out for these critters

:dance: :dance: :dance:

:cheeky: (<< I've been here waaaaaaaaay too long :D)