Mplayer and Mozilla

Guest zippy028

Guest zippy028

I have Mandrake 10.1 installed and functioning well with the exception of mplayer. I cannot get the mplayer plugin to work. I am mostly sure it is installed via rpm. THe plugin is listed and enabled in mozilla yet when I try to load and stream a .wmv video it tells me I need xmplayer2 plugin. I have urpmi'ed nearly anything and everything to do with codecs and mozilla plugins yet no dice.

You probably just need the right codecs.

Here are some helpful messages and threads on getting mplayer video to work:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=198167

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=199316

Some people recommend getting the necessary codecs from the PLF site and others suggest getting them directly from the mplayer site (which is listed in the above links). I got mine from the mplayer site. The codecs will go in /usr/lib/win32.

It can take a lot of tinkering to get everything working right (not just wmv's, but quicktime, realvideo, various audio formats, etc). Most any problem you run into though will already have been covered here, so a little bit of searching will definitely pay dividends.

Edited by jboy

for what it's worth, i've always had the best success using all PLF packages where MPlayer is concerned. i haven't run across a Windows media file that i can't play with it. if you go the PLF route, make sure you get all the codec packs. there are several of them. just use Mandrake Control Center->software->install & type codec in the search & get all of them that show up. you shouldn't have any problems once everything is installed.

Chris