Ethernet

satelliteuser083

I am currently using dial-up with a pcmcia-modem and am considering changing to ntl-broadband. My ethernet interface is called " ‎EtherExpress PRO/100" in media-class "NETWORK_ETHERNET" (on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600). I do not want to risk changing over if this configuration does not work, however, so: can anyone provide any tips on the possibility of success? Alternatively I could try a USB-connection. Which is likely to be better? I am using 10.2 LE.

Edited by satelliteuser083

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Thanks Yves and Steve. Just thought of another problem. I would need to connect two computers, both probably running LE2005, to the broadband input. Have read about an ethernet network switch (specifically, a Net-Lynx 5-Port Mini Ethernet Switch) being able to provide this sort of connection, but don't know if such a device is linux-compatible. Are all of these things OS-independent, and, if not, which ones are linux-compatible?

Hardware such as switches and hubs you don't have to worry about. This is because they are external to your system. All you have to worry about is making sure the ethernet card in your system will work, and since it's an Intel one you have no problems with Linux on that front.

Broadband routers usually have four ethernet ports, plus the outgoing DSL connection. You need to know your username and password from NTL, and whether the connection type is PPPOA or PPPOE. Then you need to know the VCI and VPI values usually 0 and 38 (from memory) for the UK. After that, it's up to you what broadband router you use, but get an idea of what NTL support. By default they just give you a USB connected modem.

Or in my setup with additional item:

Wall Socket --> Broadband Router --> Firewall/4 Port Switch --> PC's via Ethernet cards.

or for Wireless Devices:

Wall Socket --> Broadband Router --> Firewall --> Wireless Access Point --> PC's Wireless Ethernet Card.

This is because my broadband router doesn't have Wireless, like some. Plus as I have the Firewall, I'd need to have the Wireless disabled on the router and a Wireless Access Point anyway so that it's protected by the Firewall.

For you however, you'd only need the broadband router with 4 port switch and connect the PC's to it. When you exceed 4 PC's, then purchase an 8 Port Ethernet Switch/Hub, and then you'll have 8 + 3 (the 3 being the remaining ports on the broadband router, as one is taken by the Hub/Switch to provide 8 ports).

After that, it's up to you what broadband router you use, but get an idea of what NTL support.  By default they just give you a USB connected modem.

Just to add to this, my mother-in-law got NTL broadband and the modem that came with it supported both ethernet and usb connections

You should be fine. As it's separate from the machine, it's not OS dependant.

Most if not all broadband routers will work with any operating system as long as they can communicate over ethernet cards. It really doesn't care what the operating system is. It's the ethernet card you need to worry about, but yours is supported by your system, so you're OK.

The only time you're likely to see a problem is if the router requires some sort of special software application to configure it. But most if not all nowadays are configurable through a web browser.

Most places are likely to say Linux isn't supported. You'd need to find out more about the connection information, whether you can use a broadband router, instead of their supplied ethernet/usb modem.

If you can, then you don't have to worry about the Linux stuff, since the broadband router will manage the connection.

Thanks to all who contributed here; I set up a new internet connection in MCC and IT WORKED FIRST TIME.. Wonderful Mandriva!! :P However, I am a little uneasy about the fact that the internet-connection starts at boot and remains on for the session's duration. With dialup I at least had the option of killing the internet-connection when I was finished with it. Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but what's to stop some hacker getting into my system whilst I am working on some non-internet stuff - i.e. in the background - and (hush) causing trouble?? Since I sometimes spend hours on the system, that's a lot of total session-time. Perhaps someone could calm my nerves. BTW, I HAVE managed to disconnect the connection, but have not been able to subsequently re-establish it without rebooting.

Edited by satelliteuser083