Win4lin Kernel for Mandriva LE 2005

Guest ckrbd

I have tried in vain to get Win4lin9x working on LE 2005. I have tried the 2.6-10.24mm & the 2.6-11.9mm kernels several times with different configurations. After installing either of these kernels, everything appears to be going okay until after the reboot. Then the system goes into something called a "single-user" mode. From there I can log into my regular user account; however, I can't start X nor can I log into the root account. I end up having to re-install LE 2005 and everything goes well until I try one of these kernels again.

I am unsure of what I should do next. I have LE 2005 on a 114GB partition. My processor is AMD Sempron 2400+ and I have 750MBDDR memory. My graphics card is an NVIDIA 128MBFXDDR card and I have onboard audio.

Any suggestions would be most welcome and greatly appreciated.

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

If booting at "single user mode" you cannot switch to any other user account.

Most likely you boot normally, but X cannot start as your AGP is not properly configured. When you change kernel, you have to re-run a few things, one of them being nvidia-installer (assuming that you use the nvidia proprietary driver for your AGP).

Of course you don't have to reinstall anything, just reading before acting.

Last mm-win4lin kernel I can see in /contrib is 2.6.10-3, but you can also get newer version from Slavchev's semi-official repo ( svetljo under /people at the Contactel Mandrake mirror). Since I've got no idea which gcc version he used to compile those kernels you should ask him first, else you may end up in trouble.

Guest Macaria111

Hi

I am fairly new to and linux OS. However, I did have the difficulty you mentioned when I upgraded from kernel 2.6.11-6mdk to 2.6.11-12mdk. I do not recall the specifics, but I could only get to a black screen and I belive I was able to log in as user. I do not recall if I was then able to log in as root. I know I tried 'startx' init 5, and a few others to no avail.

I then decided to shut down using an 'emergency shutdown' proceedure I had seen earlier. Something about "Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring", which is a mnenomic for the following sequence of keys, each pressed while holding the 'alt' key and 'SysRq' key: r,s,e,i,u,b. Allow a short pause between key strokes.

Partway through this sequence is, I believe, when the system moved on in to 'X'.

Another element of this (sorry to be so vague) may have been to type 'mcc' at a console prompt, which start the Mandrake Command Center

In order to successfully boot directly to 'X' after that, I found that what I needed to do was to go to MCC, the boot section, and 'Setup how the system boots'. On the first page there were three boxes that I 'checked': "Enable ACPI", "Force No Local APIC", and the third one I am sorry but can not remember what it was called--something with APIC in it.

Since then it has booted flawlessly. I cannot explain why this worked, or how I was so lucky as to 'stumble' into the solution.

Also since then, when I go into this boot loader section, only two of the 'check boxes' I mentioned above are present (and hence why I cannot remember the exact wording of the third).

I hope this helps you, and perhaps someone can explain why it worked..

Good luck

I have tried in vain to get Win4lin9x working on LE 2005. I have tried the 2.6-10.24mm & the 2.6-11.9mm kernels several times with different configurations.

You may be using a kernel compiled with gcc-4x, while your system has gcc-3.4. If so, any modules you've compiled and installed such as the nVidia module will not load.

This will tell you what version of gcc was used to compile the kernel you are booted into:

$ cat /proc/version

Also, just to be sure - are you using Win4Lin-enabled version of those kernels? The latest W4L-enabled multi-media kernel I've found compiled with gcc-3.4 is the one I'm using now:

$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.11-7.mm.18mdk (peroyvind@n4.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 3.4.1 (Mandrakelinux 10.1 3.4.1-4mdk)) #2 Mon May 23 06:13:06 CEST 2005

I've been running this kernel on my 10.1 system for quite a while with no problems, using it with both Win4Lin 9x and Win4LinPro. The exact name of the kernel rpm is:

kernel-multimedia-win4lin-2.6.11-7.mm.18mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

If you're a Club member, this kernel is available here:

http://rpms.mandrivaclub.com/rpms/mandriva...86/KByName.html

Any newer kernels than that I've seen, such as the 2.6-11.9mm one you said you tried or those in Cooker, have been gcc-4x kernels. They will boot and run, but since 10.1 + 10.2 (LE2005) are gcc-3.4-based, you won't be able to compile things unless you also install gcc-4 and compile using that or re-compile one of the newer kernels on your gcc-3.4 system to get a match.

At any rate, you certainly shouldn't need to reinstall your OS just because you booted into a kernel that's causing trouble. Just boot into a known 'good' kernel and it should run as before.