Wine 20050725

Hello,

I've compiled the latest wine that was announced to support directx.

I've installed my scale model simulator: IPACS Aerofly Pro deluxe. The installer tooks quite 5 hours to finish and it installed directx9.

The sim starts just fine and I can see the animation running smoothly. NICE !!!!

That's very promizing. Thanks to wine developpers.

Now I get just a problem:

The sim uses an USB dongle/cable to connect to the Radio control set and avoid piracy.

How could I get the USB port reachable ? I can't fin on the net a mean to get it configured. Winecfg doesn't (yet) allow the usb config, and winetools are not yet at that wine's level.

Could someone tell me what to set in config/reg ?

The cable is well recognized by Linux, result of tail /var/log/syslog:

Aug 9 23:33:04 localhost kernel: usb 3-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5

Aug 9 23:33:04 localhost kernel: input: USB HID v1.00 Joystick [iPACS Ikarus Interface] on usb-0000:00:1d.2-1

Aug 9 23:33:04 localhost hal.hotplug[17172]: DEVPATH is not set

Thanks a lot for help.

Edited by ellianef

1. Latest version of wine is usually not the best (if such a thing as "best" for an eternal alpha exists).

2. DirectX support for wine has been there for some time:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/directxwine/

I am using this patch with a wine CVS version, a few months old (as everything works with it), but since I haven't used the last "official" wine version I cannot say if it's better or worse- and anyway, since my wine installation works fine (with only a few very minor glitches) I won't be that brave and bork it right now...

Now to your post: Using a dongle emulator (or even physical dongle!) through wine is next to science fiction- I simply don't believe it can be done.

Edited by scarecrow

Hi scarecrow, thanks for your reply.

But I love to live dangerously :joker:

The cable is very well found by linux as a joystick with 7 channels and 6 buttons, jstest works well. So for the kernel side things are good.

In the sim running log I see that it tries to access the usb port, then tries to find a joystick. The first faills, so the other also. If I could configure wine so the sim finds the usb port i'll be able to see if the reading from the dongle works, but I can't find info on how to do so.

In order to see where is the problem, I run step by step to be sure the basics are correctly setup and see where it is broken.

In the case I'm testing, the latest wine snapshot incorporates all the directx patches, so we don't need to patch it anyway. That's good news.

For the dongle, it's just a question af accessing the usb chip and read something from it, just as if it were a disk, not an extraterrestrian thing and very doable technically.

Following your experience,I've removed the version I compiled and installed the 20050310 wine-full from mdk.

With 20050310 the screen get flicking 3 or 4 times before displaying the initial panel.

With the latest, the scren doesn't flick any more. At least in that domain, there is an improvement.

(that doesn't mean at all there is no regression from 20050310 B) )

Searching about wine on the net, I've seen tha usb support is not yet available. So that freezes the problem for some time ....:wall:

Thanks.

Edited by ellianef