Web Editors on MDK

steppenwolf1984

Decided to get free from Dreamweaver (VMwaring annoys),

so I tried NVU for my first non-MS-software website

Making it for one musician, and because he requested it to be simple and black & white, thought it to be a simple enough for NVU to handle,

but I think I ended up doing more (or at least 50-50) by hand.

--> damn that program needs more work on, and no, I'm not talking about missing features (those I can code by hand), but about glitches! Found several annoying ones today.

anyways, here's the website I've been making today (it's in Latvian, but you can get the idea)

http://piparmetra.net/pienene/

After trying (in no particular order) Dreamweaver, Frontpage (:o Never again!!!!), gedit, kate, screem, nedit, bluefish, and quanta (and a few others less known), my preference definitely goes to nedit (to be more precise: "ncl") even though it is not nice-looking, and it has some UI glitches.

Nedit is fast, has tabs, and is "very Unix" (call shell commands, use regular expressions...).

For those interested, I wrote patterns and syntax highlightning for PHP in nedit. I'll eventually put those on my site, but I can do that faster if asked :)

Yves.

Frontpage isn't even a wysiwyg editor, it's a what-you-see-is-what-you-cry-for :P

Dreamweaver is nice and sleak.

NVU is a very simplified version of Dreamweaver.

Quanta is nice, but has its' share of glitches too (it somehow manages to reformat code sometimes, but maybe that's an option I've yet to find out how to turn off).

I dislike creating everything or most by hand, it takes tooooo much time, especially table drawing etc, text-only editor users are sadomasochistic maniacs :ph34r:

I prefer to edit pages from a text editor though, Kwrite is nice enough.

Edited by solarian

I agree with all you say about the above editors. But I don't like using GUI editors; it's so much faster to get what I want with a text editor :lol:.

Drawing tables??? What for? Are there still people using table for laying things out? I hope not... And as far as tabular data is concerned, I have to little to display.

Yves.

Well, for example for such things as at that in my page when you click on "Albumi",

it shows the albums of the artist each in its' table cell.

It will be easy for the artist to add additional albums later by himself, because the invisible part of the table has room for more albums to be put in.

If you can offer a better sollution I'll appreciate it!

Tables just seem a natural way for me to present this kind of data, but then.. I've been out of touch of the latest webdesign tendencies for the last three years or so.

p.s. The table still lacks some finishing touches.

Edited by solarian

I use quanta, is pretty good specially the CSS editor. I am more confortable when I write very code intensive processes like unordered lists. Also save times when making forms.

i like kate bc i can have "projects" open. i haven't tried it on kwrite. i like quanta bc it auto-completes the tags for me. period. that's it. sometimes the ability to preview a page is nice. but not necessary at all. i like nedit. how do you get it to open separate documents on firefox-style tabs?

. i haven't tried it on kwrite. i like quanta bc it auto-completes the tags for me.

Really? That's the function I most hate in Quanta, hate all autocompleters really no matter what application. Always the first thing I turn off. Of course that's subjective.