Web Editors on MDK

steppenwolf1984

First, there's no such thing as a good web editor :lol:

OK, I understand what you want, and indeed nvu is often cited. But IMHO, it's much better in the long term to just learn to code HTML, CSS...

Among Quanta, Screem, Bluefish, and the like, it is Bluefish I prefer. But those I really prefer are Kate (heavy) and nedit (light) for editing XML, HTML, PHP... files.

Yves.

First, there's no such thing as a good web editor :lol:

Generically, you may be right, but practically you are wrong.

NVU ( a spinoff of the old Mozilla Composer) currently at version 1/stable, is a very decent WYSIWYG web editor, and since it's pluggable (using xpi extensions) expect it to be a killer editor in te near future. Currently it could be considered as "Dreamweaver for the Poor".

www.nvu.com

I have compiled it with KDE widgets support for Arch Linux, and it's working great. For Mandriva 2005LE there are stock packages at the nvu site (never used/tested them, but I fail to see why they shouldn't work).

I won't argue that Kate is a superb html editor, but this is for people that DO know html coding and not just moving their mouse... On the other hand, if you do know how to move your mouse, NVU is likely to produce "something"- good or bad, it doesn't really matter...

• 3 weeks later...

Downloaded Nvu, its already on my xp (if my xp is still there...its been awhile, heh) and it seems smooth in comparison to Bluefish and Quanta....tho, they arent all that obtuse either. Theres something comfortable about Nvu and I hope it does take off in a big way. Between that and my sybarex HTML Complete, I should be able to use that blog space someday soon...thanks for the recommends

• 1 month later...
I like M$ concept: Visual InterDev (aka Quanta+) and M$DN. The advantage is that you can get help or a full reference for all HTML/JavaScript/CSS/ASP elements while editing your page. The question is: is there something like M$DN for linux?

Well nothing is going to do .asp help except M$ products but NVU is a good stab at WYSWYG but vi works fine for me ... I tend to mix both ways but then I don't do a lot of websites

A couple of years ago I spent 6 months editing M$ HTML in wordpad cleaning out the crap introduced from word and FrontPage. I have never had a problem with dreamweaver generated code though.. and NVU is pretty good IMHO if this is what you want!

if i'm just throwing something together, i use mozilla's composer or (hehe *ashamed*) sometimes even oo and save as html. if i'm trying to exercise any control whatsoever i use quanta. i'm a kate user for programming, but quanta does what a good editor should do. it saves time and does the same thing you'd do in the bare-bones interface.

i've yet to give nvu a shot. i might do that tonight.

Well nothing is going to do .asp help except M$ products but NVU is a good stab at WYSWYG but vi works fine for me ... I tend to mix both ways but then I don't do a lot of websites

A couple of years ago I spent 6 months editing M$ HTML in wordpad cleaning out the crap introduced from word and FrontPage.  I have never had a problem with dreamweaver generated code though.. and NVU is pretty good IMHO if this is what you want!

FrontPage is owfull indeed :puke:, and asp was just an example, php/jsp/cgi will do it as well. But all that editors don't include built-in help for elements, and i think if they would - it'll be nice.