Mandriva Linux 2005 limited Edition

Guest Raze31

Guest Raze31

I have installed Linux Mandriva 2005 limited edition. I got it with a magazine.

Installation went great, however linux or failsafe wont boot. Well it starts to boot and then starts to boot again and again and again. Keeps rebooting. I really want this to work. Its my first time with any linux operating system and I just want it to work. Can anyone help please?????? I have posted on other forums and no one seems to want to help, I get no replys. Hopefully someone here can help me (THE NEWB).

Well here are the machines specs I installed it on.

I disabled plug and play in bios like suggested.

Installed on E-machine T1740

intel celeron 1.7 ghz proc

768 mb ram

two cd drives

one floppy drive

845gl chipset onboard graphics

onboard sound

also pci nvidia geforce fx 5200 128mb ram

also pci soundblaster live 24 bit

Anyone who can help me get Mandrivia working, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I Googled your problem and this is what I came up with so far:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Linux+keeps...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/347032

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-27930-48.html

I'll keep checking and see if I can't come up with some better advice.

Guest Raze31

Thanks. Appreciate it. I have been to all those links by the way???? I googled myself as well lol. But thankyou. Maybe I can try a different version of linux. You know where I can download or find the free download and what is an easy version for server stuff of linux?????

as i see, you have onboard graphics and an nvidia graphics card. try removing the nvidia and reboot. maybe the cards are conflicting. same applies for sound. try with one card only.

if you want server stuff, how about fedora or centos or whitebox? (the latter two are 1:1 copies of redhat enterprise linux)

you can find almost very linux distro at http://distrowatch.com

Two things I found when installing Mandriva. One, dont select the packages indivvidually without a lot of experience behind you. You end up choosing packages that cause boot problems (which I think has to do with wrong networking configs, but ....I can't prove it.) Let Mandy choose and install the packages, you can always add more later. THe other thing i had a problem with is my VIA chipset vs Mandy and the 2.6 kernel over USB . Theres an errata page on that issue if you think thats it. Thats resolved tho. I think... Ive seen alot more headaches trying to install most other distros, and found Mdk to be one of the smoothest. You may want to look into running a live cd to check out linux before doing an install. Get a Knoppix, or Mandriva Move, or SUSE live Eval, of Ubuntu live, boot from CD and run linux with no hard drive install or config. When your done, remove the cd, and its back to the old system just the way you left it.

Guest Raze31

ok i removed pci sound card sound blaster and pci nvidia fx 5200 and i think it booted. Not sure though

When I installed it asked me for a user name and password.

Well I finally got that prompt when it booted. I entered it and and now it says [rob@localhost "]$ so i guess that means I am logged in. Now what lol ???

But thanks for the advice this is the first forum to fix my booting over and over. It was the pci sound and graphics card. Now my main question is???? Is linux running and am I in if so now what. Cause the screen is black with text like it is when it is booting says [rob@localhost "]$

yes, you are booted into linux. if you have installed gnome and/or kde, you should have a graphical user interface and a login manager. but i guess you need to reconfigure your graphics first. for this, type at the prompt "su". the computer will ask you for the root password now. type it in and hit enter.

now, as root, type "XFdrake" (this is case sensitive). a configuration tool for setting up your graphic cards should show up. configure your card.

when you have done that, type at the prompt "exit" and hit enter. now type "startx" and you should be logging into e.g. kde. after a reboot, the graphical login manager should show up.

if you encounter any error messages, post them here so we can continue the troubleshooting.

good luck :)

Yes, your linux is working, but you dont have a usable X configuration-yet.

Login as root, and then type "mcc". Try setting your xserver from there (this isn't the only way- you can also run "xorgconfig" or edit /etc/x11/xorg.conf manually- but mcc is the simplest solution- IF it works).

Pretty much what the previous poster suggested, that is.

Edited by scarecrow

Yes, your linux is working, but you dont have a usable X configuration-yet.

Login as root, and then type "mcc". Try setting your xserver from there (this isn't the only way- you can also run "xorgconfig" or edit /etc/x11/xorg.conf manually- but mcc is the simplest solution- IF it works).

Pretty much what the previous poster suggested, that is.

why run the whole mcc if he only needs XFdrake? ;)

Guest Raze31

You guys have been a great help. Yes it was just FXdrake. I have the graphical interface now. Thanks guys. Now I have also figured out how to get it connected to the internet through my router. My next step that I am stumped on is Teamspeak server. I cant seem to get it to run or tell if it is, has, was, will ect ect ect run. I could use a little help. I would like to run a teamspeak server and have it start on startup as well. I have been reading like crazy. I have downloaded it from www.goteamspeak.com and unpacked it and put it in a directory called teamspeak on the desktop. I cant seem to figure out how to get it to run. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot everyone who have helped me so far. This is the first and only forum after about two weeks of posting linux questions to help me and within a few hours. Other forums havent yet replied or just dont have a clue. Thanks again guys. I only wish I found these forums earlier. Thanks alot.

Edited by Raze31

Guest Raze31

Ok i got it to run. Says server daemon started with pid ******

Questions are whats the easiest way to get it to restart on crash if teamspeak server crashes and also to get it to start on startup of pc????

Guest Raze31

Also another question??? Right now I am connected to the internet on the linux machine through a linksys wirless g routher wrt54g ver. 3.1. I am connected to that router by way of a wire to my linx machine. The main connection for internet is on my windows machine. I just bought a Wireless g 802.11g usb network adapter for wireless. I would like to connect to router wireless to my linx machine. I couldnt get it to work earlier so i went with wire for now, but would very much like it to be a wireless connection. Can you guys help me??????

Edited by Raze31