SS:SE ??

Relic2K

I have not heard much about "Serious Sam:Second Encounter", anyone know if this will be another installer ? Will we have to buy it from TuxGames ? I know that Ryan is going to release another BETA of SS:SE, but I am speakingin terms of the final release ? This is the final game I have been waiting for, once I have the game installed, Windows is toast:) I have even been eye balling a new 120 Gig drive to add to my linux file system.

I have not heard much about "Serious Sam:Second Encounter", anyone know if this will be another installer ? Will we have to buy it from TuxGames ? I know that Ryan is going to release another BETA of SS:SE, but I am speakingin terms of the final release ? This is the final game I have been waiting for, once I have the game installed, Windows is toast:)  I have even been eye balling a new 120 Gig drive to add to my linux file system.

It is comments like yours that make me furious at the people who bitched and moaned about "oh no, more FPS games!!!"

Ryan said on IRC that you will need the Windows CD. I'm gonna look for it next time I'm out. Also, he said it on his website, icculus.org:

Serious Sam: The Second Encounter seems relatively solid (er...as solid as The First Encounter, at least), so after I clean up a few things, I'll put this out for beta. You'll need the retail Second Encounter disc, which was 20 bucks brand new, and should be 5 to 10 bucks in the discount bin by now.

Excuse me ?? I never said anything about negative about more FPS games, that is all I play are FPS games...so you can basically go F%$# youself DOlson. What input you did have is already all over the game forum. If you don't have anything good to say just keep your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself.

Excuse me ?? I never said anything about negative about more FPS games, that is all I play are FPS games...so you can basically go F%$# youself DOlson. What input you did have is already all over the game forum. If you don't have anything good to say just keep your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself.

I think you totally misunderstood me.

You said this:

This is the final game I have been waiting for, once I have the game installed, Windows is toast:)

Then I said:

It is comments like yours that make me furious at the people who bitched and moaned about "oh no, more FPS games!!!"

Now, your English may not be as good as a normal English person, but please, read that again. Did I say I was furious at you, or at the people who wished that SSam2 wasn't being ported?

Make the logical connection please... You said you'll get rid of Windows when you get SSam2.... That makes me happy, and at the same time, makes me mad at the people who were complaining about Serious Sam being ported. Do you not understand that?

For you to turn around and scream at me to go **** myself is just childish.

I'll have to suggest you to learn how to read English.

If you were the one who was bitching about "oh no, not more FPS games!!!" when the announcement was made, do you not think that it would be stupid for you to say you'll get rid of Windows when it is released? And would it have not made more sense for me to say "Then why were you complaining when they announced that they were porting it?" Yes, that would have made sense, IF you were one of the people that pissed me off.

Here is the summary for you:

A lot of people complained on OTHER FORUMS when Ryan announced the ports of these 3 FPS games. They pissed me off because PEOPLE LIKE YOU want those games ported. And why should you not be allowed to have the ports of games you want, just because some people out there feel that Linux has too many FPS games already? DO YOU GET IT?

Here's a summary of the summary:

I AM ON YOUR SIDE.

And a final note, and I can't stress this enough:

LEARN HOW TO READ ENGLISH IF YOU'RE GONNA POST ON AN ENGLISH FORUM.

DOlson,

There's a big difference between people who want more variety of games being ported to Linux and wanting that game developers not port certain genre's to Linux...

I for one believe that the more games that are ported to Linux the better. However, I personally won't BUY every FPS that gets ported to Linux because I don't NEED 50 different (same?) FPS on my system...

But if a title is being ported and someone LIKES IT, then FANTASTIC, I don't care what genre it is. All I object to is being told that I SHOULD buy EVERY Linux native game out there, even if I'm not a big fan of the genre or I already have a bunch of games in that genre.

I personally will not jump for joy every time a FPS is ported. I will applaud it (more games for Linux the better), but I won't jump for joy. I will jump for joy if a GOOD 4x galactic conquest game is ported. I will jump for joy if a GOOD space sim (FreeSpace 1&2 for prime example) is ported. I ran out and got a copy of FreeSpace 2 once the Linux port was announced.

DOlson,

There's a big difference between people who want more variety of games being ported to Linux and wanting that game developers not port certain genre's to Linux...

I for one believe that the more games that are ported to Linux the better. However, I personally won't BUY every FPS that gets ported to Linux because I don't NEED 50 different (same?) FPS on my system...

But if a title is being ported and someone LIKES IT, then FANTASTIC, I don't care what genre it is. All I object to is being told that I SHOULD buy EVERY Linux native game out there, even if I'm not a big fan of the genre or I already have a bunch of games in that genre.

I personally will not jump for joy every time a FPS is ported. I will applaud it (more games for Linux the better), but I won't jump for joy. I will jump for joy if a GOOD 4x galactic conquest game is ported. I will jump for joy if a GOOD space sim (FreeSpace 1&2 for prime example) is ported. I ran out and got a copy of FreeSpace 2 once the Linux port was announced.

That's great and all, but to basically sit there and complain about ports is just retarded. People want Linux gaming to "take off" yet they bitch because WC3 isn't ported and released instead of Medal of Honor. It sure as hell doesn't make any sense. If you don't want the game, then fine, but don't go off on rampages and bitch everywhere publicly possible just because it's not a game you want. There ARE people out there who do want those games.

"why are icculus.org porting MORE FPS games???"

"Linux has TOO MANY FPS games."

"they should be porting something else."

"Linux doesn't need Serious Sam 2"

Those are all comments that I've heard various places, repeated so many times it's getting quite old.

If YOU want different ports, email companies, get the source code, sign NDAs, do whatever it takes and port it yourself. If you can get a game to go GPL, contact Ryan, and he'll find some people to port it I'm sure.

Also, LGP has mentioned that they won't port FPS games unless for good reason, and yet with every announcement, they still get crap thrown at them because they're porting games that they can actually afford instead of pulling a Loki. Seems that these people just won't ever be happy.

If you just sit around bitching about how they shouldn't bother porting a particular game or a particular genre, then you're not a part of the solution.

Crap, I am from the same part of the damn country you are. So I don't go telling me about learning how to speak english better. I do not speak any friggin worse than you do. I will admit that I was wrong in how I interpreted what you wrote.

Fine by me. But I said read, not speak. ;)

Guest starbane

At first glance, that reply was confusing.

"What? He's furious about what?! What did _that_ guy do??"

*re-read*

Oh. Odd phrasing, but now I get it.

Little misunderstanding there.

Unfortunately, I've never been a big fan of FPS games. Twitch isn't my thing, though I do enjoy playing them for about an hour when they come up, just to examine the graphics and engine.

But yeah... who would care about how many of one game or another anyone is porting?

If there are 'too many' FPS games ported, then obviously demand for them will go down, and the companies that do the porting will go bye-bye.

So, there's sure no motive to complain about it, unless you're trying to help out the demographics departments of those companies.

I just know I won't be buying any FPS games in the near future.

When NeverWinterNights announced they were (nominally) supporting Linux, I swore as soon as that happened I would ditch Windows.

But then, I tried Mandrake 8.0 (after a couple of munged attempts at Redhat and Suse).

A week later I almost forgot what Bill's little splash screen looked like, and I was compiling the new version of KDE.

And I'm STILL waiting for my darn linux client!

In other words:

I don't see games as a motivator to abandon windows, and until Linux is used on more desktops in corporations and non-profit institutions, I don't see there being a huge market for commercial games in Linux.

What I do see, with all the libraries and engines being developed (and that have been developed) licensed with GPL or something like it, that there could be some seriously entertaining GPL games out there.

But there aren't. Wonder why. I mean, FreeCiv is excellent for a while. But how many versions of Mah-Jhong and Solitaire do I need, here? hehe

Guest starbane

BTW, love the site. Hope it never goes away, permenantly. I wish I had known about it back in the day. You wouldn't belive how long it took me to figure out ./configure make make install, manipulating drivers, installing flash, etc.

I point newbies newbier than myself at it every other day or so. :)

BTW, love the site.  Hope it never goes away, permenantly.  I wish I had known about it back in the day.  You wouldn't belive how long it took me to figure out ./configure make make install, manipulating drivers, installing flash, etc.

I point newbies newbier than myself at it every other day or so. :)

Heh, that's cool. I don't have much time lately, but I'll update it shortly.