Does xmms distort your music sound?

twn_onizuka

I've never had an issue with xmms distorting my music. It might have to do with the driver you are using for it. Are you using the OSS or the ALSA driver?

I have had good luck using beep-media-player, which is basically xmms built for gtk2

Never really used any other players.

Xmms did fine with 2 of my old cards and oss, but has always stunk with 2 cards and alsa. I use rhythmbox, but it is gtk and large like that other app you mentioned. It can be made mini and can run from an applet in the gnome panel though, but I gather you run kde? Sorry, can't help ya there. You also might wanna check that no xmms etra plugin weird stuff isn't installed. They usually make the sound worse IM-experience.

Amarok can be set displaying a small, xmms-like window, or nothing at all (just the systray icon), and since it's Linux here, not windows, and you already have four desktops handy by default, simply push that "large window" to another desktop!

Of course you have a far larger choice of multimedia players, which use all sorts of UI's, but Amarok is really very good...

Edited by scarecrow