Uninstalling Mandrake

Ross L.

Well I just found out that my best friend's router won't work with Linux and both him and I are really mad. He wants to know how to reinstall Windows 98SE on his pc, which he will then upgrade to XP Home. I know this probably isn't the right place for this but I was unsure where it would go.

first of all: are you sure that the router is incompatible? almost every router i know works with linux.

okay.. what you need is a bootdisk for windows 98 or n old dos disk. boot the system with the floppy and run from it fdisk. remove all partitions you can find. then create the dos partitons. after that reboot and format the drive using the floppy. then boot with the floppy and start the installation process. the masterbootrecord will be overwritten during that process.

Is it the wireless cards that you are having an issue with? Try searching the Tips and Tricks and FAQ forums for a howto on ndiswrapper. It's worked for a lot of people.

But the above references are correct for removing Mandrake and returning to a Windows environment. On a side note, your friend might be better off just installing XP Home than upgrading from 98 to XP Home. IIRC you can install from an upgrade cd as long as you have an older version of Windows for the installer to pull some files off of.

Cards might have issues, not routers. Routers work with tcp/ip. Anything utilizing tcp/ic works. Now, your cards might need some configuration.

• 2 months later...
Either go into rescue mode of manfriva's cd1 and restore the windows bootloader or boot a win98 rescue disk and do

fdisk /restore

:wall:

no one caught that?

:wall:

it should be;

fdisk /mbr

:woops:

I used to pilot project the Mandriva 10.1 operating system on my computer couple months ago, but I hardly used the OS. Is the fdisk /mbr command is safe? Also, do i need to backup my Windoze XP data before doing the fdisk process?

Edited by mada726