using Gnome with LE2005

Guest CoriolisSTORM

Guest CoriolisSTORM

Well, upon installation I set KDE as my default desktop in Mandriva LE2005. However, I'd like to use Gnome every once in a while as well. I chose to install it later from the DVD I had, but it does not show up within my Sessions menu on the login screen. How can I fix it to where I can log in to Gnome? Its the Gnome that came with it as I do not have my winmodem working yet in Linux so I can't update. Ideas please?

first, check if you have really installed everything gnome needs. after that, open a terminal and type as root "updatedb". maybe it will show up in the sesion manager. if not, try installing gdm. it is known to be less problematic.

Guest CoriolisSTORM
first, check if you have really installed everything gnome needs. after that, open a terminal and type as root "updatedb". maybe it will show up in the sesion manager. if not, try installing gdm. it is known to be less problematic.

GDM is installed I think as it shows up under them kmenu as configure GDM. How can I check if I have everything Gnome needs installed? How do I switch to GDM from whatever I am using now?

I always found GDM better and more stable anyway. Who'd wanna use a dm that restricts who can be in it? especially if it is gnome that is restricted :D

gnome-session

is the pkg you need to make sure is installed for gnome to be able to startup

Edited by bvc