Open Suse, whither Mandriva?

steppenwolf1984

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Adriano

I think it has to do with the number of times the word "community" and its synonims appear on the webpage. also with the combination of colors used in the site, but less: compare blue, cool, detached mandriva to warm brown ubuntu. Extra points if you get to draw Tux in an unforgettable (and good) way. The name "mandriva" doesn't help either, even if I don't mind it.

Other things? mandriva overplays the marketing efforts it makes, ubuntu links to the forums and feels more of a "project". So you want to feel a part of this "grassroots effort" and not of that "cold corporate business". The absolute worst in this is (for me) the openoffice website. Apart from the main page, it's a mess of bureaucracy. The best is possibly firefox or spreadfirefox.

What Mandriva really lacks is the Linux feeling
i have read that several times now in different forums and still, it is unclear to me what people define as "linux feeling". is that something like "it is only for geeks and complicated and that is cool because it makes me feel superior to others" or what? :unsure:

It simply gives the feeling of being in a community.

I think it has to do with the number of times the word "community" and its synonims appear on the webpage. also with the combination of colors used in the site, but less: compare blue, cool, detached mandriva to warm brown ubuntu. Extra points if you get to draw Tux in an unforgettable (and good) way. The name "mandriva" doesn't help either, even if I don't mind it.

Well like it or not the Mandriva website could use some reorganizing. It's a mess.

But apart from that I meant on "Linux feeling" that you can write to the forums, read their blogs, vote on some things about the distro like what the default look should be, and there's probably a lot more.

Other things? mandriva overplays the marketing efforts it makes, ubuntu links to the forums and feels more of a "project". So you want to feel a part of this "grassroots effort" and not of that "cold corporate business".

Something like that.

Guest pagey007

Hello people,After trying many distro's I come to the conclusion that there are several very good ones out there and just comes down to personal choice,Suse is good[9.3] ,Xandros with some tweaks and the new kernel [2.6.11-smp] is very good and a little underated,However I am waiting to get my hands on Mandriva 2006 official as it still remains the O/S I spend most time in,urpmi... works well once set up and Mandriva has the best installer out there,When compared to the cost of xp they are all a bargain and so a nice little donation [for support etc] is not too much to ask,Just my humble opinion,

Mike

From New Zealand :cheesy:

Hello people,After trying many distro's I come to the conclusion that there are several very good ones out there and just comes down to personal choice,Suse is good[9.3] ,Xandros with some tweaks and the new kernel [2.6.11-smp] is very good and a little underated,However I am waiting to get my hands on Mandriva 2006 official as it still remains the O/S I spend most time in,urpmi... works well once set up and Mandriva has the best installer out there,When compared to the cost of xp they are all a bargain and so a nice little donation [for support etc] is not too much to ask,Just my humble opinion,

Mike

From New Zealand :cheesy:

I agree, but I personally wouldnt say that Mandriva doesnt have the linux feel...what started my post in the first place was that the website, the home page doesnt. Which is kinda of a shame given how great the distro is. Maybe if enough users point out that the marketing side needs a tweaking...For me, the actual distro is an all around winner whether for newbies coming from windows or command line hackers. It automatically installs so many apps that I am still discovering. What lacks the community or linux feel is that the promotional side tends to link you towards shopping cart sites and not at all toward community sites....at least in comparison with some other distros. Maybe its the cold blue vs the warm brown ububntu, but then kubuntu is blue as well. I like blue, but Im not too crazy about shopping carts, LOL.