Default user and password?

Guest Aerodynamic Trunks

Guest Aerodynamic Trunks

During installation, I didn't specify password. Is there a default for me to gain access to the system?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

you can try one of these:

A. Type init 1 in a command terminal. If it switches you into runlevel 1 (single user mode), then type 'passwd' to change the root password.

B. Reboot the system. During your bootloader, (if you are using LILO) press the key (I think its escape) to get a linux prompt then assuming your label for mandriva is "linux" then pass one of the following: "linux single" or "linux init 1".

Upon complete boot, type 'passwd' to change the root password.

C. (NOTE: It has been so long since I needed to do this so use this only as a guide)

Reboot using your Mandriva installation CD and select the other optiions when given the chance (F1, i think). Select the rescue prompt option and change the password as stated above.

You can also use a live-cd distribution to reset your password but that entails some additional steps like mounting your / partition and performing 'passwd'. Use that as a last resort.

In option A and B, you can switch to runlevel 3 (console login) or 5 (gui login) by passing the command

init <runlevel number>

Holler if you run into trouble, or something I said is gibberish. I think there was previously a FAQ item for this but I cant find it... hmmmn.

ciao!

Hello Ramfree17

Thank you for the above tip on how to gain access to the system. I am currently trying to configure a new printer but part way through the configuration process I am asked for for my user name and password. The problem is that I have only ever put in one username when I first installed 10.1 OE and have never put in a password. Is there some default set that I can enter or how do get around this password request ?

I have searched in various places for ideas but to no avail.

If you are able to assist I would be most grateful.

Rowan.