Lightweight Desktop

I made some thoughts on switching to a lighter DE than gnome to try something new. I like to hear from the people who got some experience and tried some light weighted DE. The first DE that hit my mind was Enlightenment what pros/cons do it have? Which version of Enlightenment is avaible Mandriva? Or is there a distro which have Enlightenment as main DE which are optimized for 586/686/pentium 4?

I know it's best to try them all (allmost) all out to get a clear picture, but it would be nice to hear what other people thinks.

.:=The AI Dude=:.

my vote goes to fluxbox. after that: icewm, rox and windowmaker. somehow i never loved enlightenment. it had a bad feel, was too quirky for my tastes and had way too many bugs in the themes. and configuration was a pain in the ***. but then... this was e16. dunno if e17 improved in that respect.

but i guess my vote won't count as i love very simple desktops. :D

Openbox is by far the best, the only good feature fluxbox has is all that transparency. Fluxbox doesn't work with the freedesktop standards either, when openbox does. Not to mention openbox's menu looks much better blah blah, openbox + pypanel is a great combo. I tried fluxbox yesterday and it's just a mess. Try them both out, but give openbox a chance because it really deserves to be more noticed.

Fluxbox is very popular, and *maybe* it is the fastest (I don't know). One thing I'm sure, though, Fluxbox is not the lightest. IceWM is lighter and easy to use, and Matchbox is even more lighter but quite a bit different too. There are others but those are in a totally different category (Ion, Ratpoison...).

Lastly, Xfce is popular too these days, but I never tried since version 3.something...

Yves.

nothing .. .I think yiou'd be hard pressed to find an FVWM version pre 2 .. if you have fvwm you prolly have fvwm2 installed.

you can do some funky stuff with fvwm if you play with the conf. But its not easy, I still haven't figured it out yet. I've done what I want then stopped learning :)

http://loudas.com/image_gallery/albums/Scr...ty-20050213.png

I use Fluxbox on Mandriva primarily - I've got an extremely ligthweight custom install of LE2005 weighing in around 500 mb (stripped out almost everything on install) - the Fluxbox desktop loads up at around 44 mb Ram and I'm using Deer park Alpha 2 on it - it's fast, snappy and enjoyable to use and the config files for it are easy to understand/edit - so try a few WM's including FLuxbox and see what you like :)

Edited by Rainer