Is yum here?

Guest spiffytech

Guest spiffytech

I was under the impression that all RPM-based distros included the YUM package manager, but the yum command doesn't work in mandriva LE 2005. Is it supposed to be there, and is there a way that I can install yum manually?

Mandriva uses urpmi on the command-line, and rpmdrake on the GUI (though urpmi can be usefull in the GUI too :) )

Yum is a RedHat/Fedora thing, and as far as I know, it came after urpmi did exist.

Yves.

I agree that urpmi is equal or better than yum, and add to that mandriva is rather sidecicking urpmi for "next generation" package managers (Smart).

Currently, many "advanced" package managers are using a port of apt for managing RPM's (using synaptic or kpackage as GUI frontend), and not yum/ urpmi/yast.

You can even use apt-get/synaptic in Mandriva if you wish! (although there's nothing special to be gained compared to urpmi). Many SuSE users already use synaptic on their RPM based disto, and PCLinuxOS which is almost pure Mandriva core uses synaptic since a long time ago.

Based on my less-than-12-hours-old experience with Debian, I would say that:

- rpm ~= dpkg

- urpmi ~= apt-get install

- urpme ~= apt-get remove (or is it "uninstall"?)

- urpmi --auto-select ~= apt-get dist-upgrade

Yves.

urpmf [program or filename]

will search for that name in all packages - practical if some program that is not available as Mdv rpm complains at compile or run time about missing programs or libs... it will mention the missing file, but that may be part of a package with a completely different name, and that's where urpmf comes in.

Yves, have you just started messing with Debian? Tell us how you like it!

Well, I don't want to polute this thread but in short: I "simply" have DamnSmallLinux for now (great distro!), and I'm trying to understand apt. So I don't have the Debian feeling yet. But the start was good, and I expect things to be better yet :)

Yves.