urpmi woes [solved]

RVDowning

Linux newbie who thinks he has urpmi set up right. I'm trying to upgrade my existing Gnumeric 1.2.13 to gnumeric-1.4.2-1mdk.i586.rpm

If, from a console, I type urpmi gnumeric it says it is already installed. If I try urpmi gnumeric-1.4.2-1mdk.i586.rpm I get "unable to access rpm file [gnumeric-1.4.2-1mdk.i586.rpm]

error registering local packages"

If I download it and try it from the same directory I get "some package requested cannot be installed: gnumeric-1.4.2-1mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libpython2.4.so.1.0)"

I thought I didn't need to download it and also that urpmi would solve dependancies.

Is it possible to upgrade to a newer release of the same program? If so, could anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?

Edited by RVDowning

Ok, using: rpm -Uvh gnumeric-1.4.2-1mdk.i586.rpm

I got the following output:

warning: gnumeric-1.4.2-1mdk.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 26752624

error: Failed dependencies:

libgda-2.so.3 is needed by gnumeric-1.4.2-1mdk

libgnomedb-2.so.4 is needed by gnumeric-1.4.2-1mdk

libpsiconv.so.6 is needed by gnumeric-1.4.2-1mdk

libpython2.4.so.1.0 is needed by gnumeric-1.4.2-1mdk

It was to try to get around these dependency issues that I was trying urpmi

Ok. I just noticed that gnumeric-1.4.2-1mdk.i586.rpm is included on the Mandriva 10.2 LE DVD. Does this mean you are running an older version of the OS? Maybe that is what is causing the problem?

Somebody with more experience than I would have to help you straighten that out if this is the case.

Sean

I should add that I got it here: http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idp...k.i586.rpm.html which indicates "gnumeric rpm build for: Mandrake 10.X"

In any event, it doesn't seem that urpmi is even attempting to access the net. It is as though it can't find the file. It only finds it if I have downloaded it, which I thought wasn't necessary. (As per my original post.) I thought that just doing a "urpmi gnumeric" was supposed to access the online sources and retrieve any newer version, however it just tells me that it is already installed. Isn't this the right procedure to upgrade a program from an older to a newer version?

You are best off setting up your repositories using easy urpmi . I'm not sure what the newer gnumeric needs, but you are stuck with dependencies that are probably caused by trying the newer version with your system which has older libraries. 10.1 -> 10.2 involved a total upgrade of gnome applications and libraries. If you have to have the newest version you may want to consider using 10.2 (LE2005).

I DID set up my repositories using Easy-Urpmi. In fact I used the link from this page. Are there circumstances under which urpmi just doesn't work? I thought urpmi sounded too good to be true. (....... and if it sounds too good to be true.........)

If I can't upgrade just one app, I don't think I dare try to upgrade the whole system, especially in my newbie status.

Urpmi IS straight forward. Don't condemn it just because it ent working for you. Few things, make sure you've updated everything using the easy urpmi. You can update urpmi by doing "urpmi urpmi" so that maybe worth a try. Also, you could try uninstalling your old version and doing a clean install.

Using easy-urpmi, it is ESSENTIAL that you set up ALL the following namely :-

Main, Update, Contrib, Plf-free, Plf-nonfree

This why using urpmi to update your gnumeric is unable to select the other packages it is dependant on . It (urpmi) can only look at the files it already has and that does not include the other dependency packages.

The system is designed to work as a whole but when you set up only part of it then please do not complain when the system does not work as you expected.

If you setup urpmi for ALL of the above then you will be unlikely to experience any problems updating or upgrading gnumeric.

Cheers. John.

The following is a listing of urpmisources:

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.clinet.fi/pub/mirrors/Mandrake-...i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.clinet.fi/pub/mirrors/Mandrake-...6/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia jpackage ftp://ftp.clinet.fi/pub/mirrors/Mandrake-.../media/jpackage with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/plf/mandrake/free/10.1 with hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/plf/mandrake/non-free/10.1 with hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://mandrake.contactel.cz/Mandrakelinux...1/main_updates/ with media_info/hdlist.cz

I believe that they ARE all set up. I'f there is an error above or something missing, by all means please enlighten me. I disabled the cd references.