Creative Soundblaster Live

Guest berri

Guest berri

I am new using the Linux program. I got Mandrake 10.2 limited distribution installed on my machine and I did not get sound at all. I tried an Audio CD and no sound came out at all. I heard a faint thump but that is all I heard saying that it would not play.

I have a creative soundblaster live card and I know that creative does not make anything for Linux. Can anyone please let me know the exact steps I have to take to hear audio and to be able to play CD's on my machine.

This is a dual boot system with windows xp home and the sound does work under windows xp home.

Another question, please advise what type of serial modem would be good for the machine. I have a gateway computer with an AMD chip 32 bit.

Thanks for any help.

:thanks:

Edited by berri

Welcome to the board!

Creative don't make drivers for linux as such, but they do throw a bit of money in the direction of a free software driver I believe. This driver should have come with mandrake and your sound really ought to work. When you say it doesn't work, was there any kind of error or did the cds play to the end of each track with no music coming out?

A common problem is the sound levels being muted so no noise comes out. Try searching for a program called aumix or anything that that looks like it might be a mixer for your sound card in your desktops 'start menu' and adjust the levels.

You ask about a serial modem, is that to connect to the internet or to your gateway computer that connects to the net? If the latter there are much better ways of connecting two computers together than serial links.

-fissy

Hello

I need to connect two 2 computer, one xp and one linux box.

You ask about a serial modem, is that to connect to the internet or to your gateway computer that connects to the net? If the latter there are much better ways of connecting two computers together than serial links.

Can you recommend how and what type of connection. If wireless, who has a driver for linux.

gratefull for :help:

Arne´s connection question on connecting 2 boxes goes for me too. Don´t want wireless, just some simple cable connection cable, only want it to swap occasional data. I have a kvm so mouse, screen and keyboard are taken care of. My Mandriva box has the usb scanner and parallel port printer connected to it. I do not want to set up the usual complicated network setup, just enable the other box to use the printer and scanner. the second box connects to the internet via the usb connection on the adsl modem and the Mandriva box connects to the internet via the modems LAN connection.

If necessary to keep it simple I can scan and print only in linux if I can move that data in and out of the other box for processing instead of constantly using a cd-rw to do this.

Regarding the no sound problem. Have you tried opening the KDE Control Centre then going to Sound and clicking on it then in General place a tick in the Enable the sound system and then clicking on the Hardware tab and placing a tick in Full duplex and finally click on Apply.

See how that goes and if it does not then we may have some other suggestions.

Cheers. John.

Creative soundcards are actually the better supported ones.

Hope you don't have a Dell SBlive 5.1 since those are nonstandard (but by now maybe those work fine too).

Open the mixer and play with all settings (one by one), sometimes the setting for digital/analog is wrongly set.

FWIW, I have an SBLive 5.1 and an Audigy2, both work great, surround, etc all ok.

For a simple two pc network a crossover cable works fine. A few of the wires need to be "crossed" so the input of one machine is connected to the out put of the other machine. You can use the serial port, the parallel port or ethernet connection.

Before i had a router I tried all of the connections and the ethernet was the fastest but the most expensive since I had to buy the network cards. A computer shop should have the premade cable, calling it a crossover cable or null modem. Here is a link to give the general drift : http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/abo...t-crossover.asp

If you're looking for a modem to connect to the internet via the serial port I've used us robotics without any problem and my understanding is any external modem will work as long as it is not a usb connection as some of those are software "winmodems" and can be problematic. I use cable isp now and haven't used a modem for anything other than sending a fax or two on my xp box and i understand more of every kind of modem is supported by linux nowdays.

For the sound card, I have a basic ebay sound blaster live on a p3 500 hz pc and when I don't here anything after an install it seems to be that the volume is at zero or the mute button is ticked by default.

Hope this helps some,

Mike

Thank you mtriley98 for your quick reply. That looks like the kind of solution I was hoping for.

I will get me a cable and give it a try. I feel fairly confident that if the crossover cable does not work that I will be able to return it OK.

I will keep you posted of my success or otherwise.

Cheers. John.

Guest berri
As for the Creative Sound Blaster issue, have you checked your mixer and ensure the volume is not muted?

I went into the configure board and the hardware and it said to add some file and I did and now I am able to play the CD. It recognized the sound card Sound blaster live, I was in the mixer place and then the sound icon in the tray disappeared but the sound worked.

:thanks:

Now as to a modem, a regular serial modem - what would be a good brand to use? How does one install the modem - I would prefer a external one because the machine did not come with an internal modem.

Any advice would be welcome.

Edited by berri