kmenu icon

Guest thenub314

Guest thenub314

I Have recently installed Mandriva LE 2005, then upgraded to 2006.0 using urpmi. I want to change my icon theme so I have a "vanilla" set of icons. For example I don't want kmenu to appear as a mandriva star regaurdless of my icon theme.

After some investigating in my /usr/share/icons/ I found some themes have a kmenu.png (for example crystal svg) but it is not used. Any one know how to change this? And I suppose philosophically why Mandriva would make it hard to change? Is there any some configuretion file I can edit to get kde to look at the kmenu.png in my icon theme?

Anyways thanks for the help in advance.

I have not used Mandrake/Mandriva in a long time (cooker crash...nasty stuff), but I had this same problem when they added that star. I wanted to get rid of it. I figured out that Mandrake/Mandriva was now using menuk-mdk.png as their kmenu icon. Not sure with the release of LE2005 if it's still the same or now. I wrote up a tutorial on how to change the icon back when I discovered this problem. You can find that here: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=12628

Guest thenub314

Thanks, I'll give it a try, I figured something like that would work. Though I am _very_ disappointed in the mandrake team. One should be alble to configure linux any way ones chooses. To make it obscure for marketing reasons is sad.

The simplest approach is to go through the various Icon sets in /usr/share/icons and find the one you would like to have as the Menu icon from the 48x48 ones and copy it to your desktop. Rename it to menuk-mdk.png.

Check in KCC....Look&Feel......Icons and check the name of the icon set you have selected for your general use. Open a console and type in....kdesu konqueror.....click enter and then type in your password and click enter. This will start Konqueror in root mode then type into Konqueror just..... / ......... this will give you root access to /usr/share/icons. In there look for the name of your current icon set that you checked in KCC and click on it to open it then click on the 48x48 icon set then click on Apps to open that set. Now right click on the icon you renamed on the desktop and select Copy then in the open set of icons right click and select paste. Save the renamed icon on your desktop to somewhere safe in case you change your icon selection in the future.

Log out then back in again and you will see your new icon in place.

I know it works because I just did it for the first time.

Cheers. John.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest thenub314

I decided this deserved a but report to the Mandriva team and they apparently told me they have an option to disable this behavior. Here is their response to me...

Hi,

you can add into kickerrc

[KMenu]

KmenuUseMdvIcon=false

Guest thenub314

It makes it alot easier to get it to use the icons that came with the theme I downloaded and installed my in

home directory. I don't claim that it makes it easier to change a specific icon. Just to stop mandriva from overiding the things I install with their own icons, with out me having to change the iconthemes I download by hand.