Show off your Desktop (August 05)

iphitus

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool

you know, after reading the kde theme howto and seeing how much more powerful it can be over gnome, I've thought for a month to install kde again. It's supposedly the reason so many developers left gnome after 2.0 and went to kde, but.... :unsure: ...after more than 1.5 years since using kde, all I see at kde-look as far as good themes go is the same things that were there 1.5 years ago. What is up with that? From reading the howto I can see that making a kde theme is a nightmare but come on. There no eyecabdy over there....I don't need the silly wallpapers....there has been more icons submitted...but where's the beef? :wall: I mean...everyone still uses plastic and bagara or whatever....nothing new since then? Ouch! That's very sad.

Edited by bvc

cool

you know, after reading the kde theme howto and seeing how much more powerful it can be over gnome, I've thought for a month to install kde again. It's supposedly the reason so many developers left gnome after 2.0 and went to kde, but.... :unsure: ...after more than 1.5 years since using kde, all I see at kde-look as far as good themes go is the same things that were there 1.5 years ago. What is up with that? From reading the howto I can see that making a kde theme is a nightmare but come on. There no eyecabdy over there....I don't need the silly wallpapers....there has been more icons submitted...but where's the beef? :wall: I mean...everyone still uses plastic and bagara or whatever....nothing new since then? Ouch! That's very sad.

I tried KDE again about a month ago and trust me don't go back! The only half decent looking theme is plastik and yes that's sad. Plus you aint leet if you use KDE :P.

well I'm not desktop flaming or bashing, I'm just stating what I see. The other day on the ubuntu forum someone mentioned contrib to ubuntu art because he wanted to contrib but kde already has plenty of artist...and I thought...huh? To me, this is not a matter of taste when the bottom line is that there has been nothing new and good for over a year? Yuk!

I prefer KDE, but some don't. To each their own and I have no intention of arguing over desktop choice. Each have their own positives and negatives; but I have to wholeheartedly agree with bvc about the lack of anything new for KDE over the past year or so. It's sad, really. The theming engine is really powerful, but no one is taking advantage of that to make anything innovative. It's just copies (mostly bad) of other successful themes and styles.

Still, having said that, I will stick with KDE because I like it and I'm used to it. Linux is all about choice.

Is it to late to join the party?

:lol:

thx for the screenie...I was wondering if the black and white icons were poorly sized for kde. I was going to port them to gnome but it'd be too much work resizing all of them to look correct. Sad...I was going to make a gtk and a kde theme to match. Oh well, I think I may go try and make some real gui ....E17 ;)

I tried KDE again about a month ago and trust me don't go back! The only half decent looking theme is plastik and yes that's sad. Plus you aint leet if you use KDE  :P.

Nah, you're not "l33t omg hax0rz!!111" unless you run pure terminal with X not even installed. GUIs are for noobs. :P

Ubuntu with KDE, Not Kubuntu

I kind of suck at making my desktop look cool.  :(

I sure do like that clock thingy...OH YEAH!, my wife said my Ubuntu just came in the mail :banana:

Too bad I'm stuck in Louisiana and not at home this month... :evilmod:

Well, it will give me something to play with over the holiday. I've just got MDK2005LE the way I like it...now I'm gonna scrap it all and try Ubuntu. Hopefully, I don't regret it. Maybe I'll start a new thread somewhere on the differences between the two before I make the switch.

WoMBaT

P.S. Missed the word "wife" in the first iteration of this post...must have been a freudian slip.

Edited by WoMBaT

it reminds me of something... i can't help it... fisherprice? yes a certain OS with the specific fisherprice look. :D

...dont beat me! i didn't want to insult you. :angel: