Is Linux doomed when it comes to commercial games?

Artificial Intelligence

How's the future of linux when it comes to games?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How's the future of linux when it comes to games?

• The future looks brighter...
    • Not so good...
    • It will be the same as today..
    • I'm not sure...
    • I don't care as long as solitaire is still available for linux...

Microsoft can buy allot of manpower for the hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars it has.

Yes this discussion has been had but we are dealing with a company that is less than ethical in the way it opperates. However I sure hope your right.

Though MS is a big or probably the biggest software company it can't fight with other giants like HP or Google. They have hundreds of millions also to buy manpower even MS employees like Google did the last time.

Honestly I think if linux suddenly had an increase in users to the point where game companys started to make linux versions. Ms would soon do something about it. Call me paranoid but I don't trust ANYONE with that kind of money and power, and with their track record...ms currently is sitting on a 30 BILLION dollar nest egg with that money they could buy or bribe companys not to port to linux. I distrust them so much I just wouldn't put it past them. Anyway as far as I can tell gaming is keeping alot of people from using just linux, allot of people I know use xp for games and do everything else in linux. Gaming is the last hill linux has to climb and its a long steep one.

Honestly I think if linux suddenly had an increase in users to the point where game companys started to make linux versions. Ms would soon do something about it. Call me paranoid but I don't trust ANYONE with that kind of money and power, and with their track record...ms currently is sitting on a 30 BILLION dollar nest egg with that money they could buy or bribe companys not to port to linux. I distrust them so much I just wouldn't put it past them. Anyway as far as I can tell gaming is keeping alot of people from using just linux, allot of people I know use xp for games and do everything else in linux. Gaming is the last hill linux has to climb and its a long steep one.

I don't completely agree. Yes, gaming is perhaps the last hill to climb. But we're almost at the top.

I play Half Life 2, World of Warcraft, KOTOR2, etc. all on Linux. It wasn't even challenging to get them to work (except for WoW which I had to use a hack on the Transgaming config file to get working properly). Those are three of the top games being played at the moment.

Besides for that, I play Doom 3, Unreal Tournament and Neverwinter Nights natively, because some games companies already do port their wares to Linux.

Gaming is not nearly an issue for me. And I'm not a linux guru by the furtherest stretch. Anybody can install cedega and out of the five games I currently play with it, only one required anything special.

Microsoft can't apply the control you speak of - it's like trying to pick up water.

We'll be at the top of the gaming hill when 2 people go to Best Buy each buy a game one goes home and installs it on linux and one goes home and installs it on XP, and both jump online at the same time and play. Usually linux users have to wait for support from Transgaming. The way I see it gaming in linux firmly rests on the shoulders of Transgaming, granted there are native linux games but not nearly as many as there should be. Here's a thought, linux needs an edge in gaming .,What if linux was the only platform that could emulate PS2/3 games? talk about draw in users we'd be beating them off with a stick there'd be so many. Perhaps a deal could be reached where cedega could be added to the linux kernel as a layer/module for gaming. This is the kind of ideas we need for linux and in paticular gaming in linux. Gaming could be used as the edge linux needs to draw in the users if gamers thought for a min that linux could run games faster and more securely they'd switch to linux in droves. Anyway the point is this kind of thinking doesn't happen much when it comes to linux development and as long as it doesn't I can't see the gaming future in linux changing at all, progress in this area is just to slow mainly because I don't think the developers are gamers so at best gaming is a secondary issue and something for transgaming to worry about.