how to keep root password

sallam

greetings

everytime the root login small window pops up, I make sure to click the 'keep password' option, as I'm the only one who has access to my home computer. Yet, it always asks me for the password, times and again.

how can i really convince it to keep the password and never ask for it again?

thanks in advance :)

Are you saying you want to login to KDE or Gnome or whatever as root? Why would you want to do that? There are rarely times you need to be root and that is best done from a terminal. It is just plain bad habits to have root wide open to anyone, whether you are the only one who uses your machine. Good security habits are a pain at times, but so is locking your car, your house, etc. As a good habit don't log into X as root. Probably your display manager is actually being kind to you by not "remembering." Don't mean to sound preachy, but the distiction between a regular user and root is a key to Linux security and it should be appreciated as such.

No, sallam means opening the control center as a user and getting the root login dialog window. I've always thought that 'remember password' was there as a 'not yet impemented' feature that just didn't work.

Edited by bvc

No, sallam means opening the control center as a user and getting the root login dialog window. I've always thought that 'remember password' was there as a 'not yet impemented' feature that just didn't work.

thats exactly what i meant. Oh, so I better not tick the option everytime then.

If that so, can you please show me how to change my root password?